General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User snowy44
(learned) Fri 05-Jan-18 10:50:12
Print Post

Line Stats

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been having issues with my router dropping connection to my ISP network.

I have attached the line stats from the router and can see that the CRC errors for the downstream are quite high given that the connection has only been in sync for a day.

Please could someone take a look at the line stats and advise on the other sections and what would normally cause high CRC errors. I am testing in the master test socket direct.

ES: 41 / 1521
SES: 0 / 289
UAS: 64 / 64
FEC: 515 / 28935019
CRC: 47 / 23723
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jan-18 19:00:23
Print Post

Re: Line Stats

[re: snowy44] [link to this post]

Without connection speed, line attenuation and noise margin figures impossible for anyone to say a lot, we would also need to know the connection type, one presumes FTTC/VDSL2 based on forum section.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User snowy44
(learned) Fri 05-Jan-18 19:03:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

HI,

Please see attached further information from the stats.

It is a FFTC connection.

UpLink / DownLink
SNR Margin: 9.9 dB / 5.9 dB
Line Attenuation: 0.1 dB / 9.9 dB
Output Power: 3.0 dbm / 2.7 dbm
Data Rate: 20000 kbps / 77782 kbps
ES: 47 / 2164
SES: 0 / 399
UAS: 64 / 64
FEC: 562 / 31395858
CRC: 53 / 32091

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jan-18 19:08:57
Print Post

With the 0.1dB attenuation the cabinet must be right outside your window, or your modem is reporting figures that are not to be trusted.

Do the SNR margin values vary, i.e. you'll usually see these decrease just prior to the line dropping and then resyncing.

The High FEC is usually not a worry, just tells us that interleaving is on and doing its job.
The ES may be high, but with no idea how much data you've moved across the connection in the 24 hours hard to say.

The usual way that resyncs and drops is resolved is the automated systems spot the issues and increase the target noise margin, giving lower data rate (sync speeds) in exchange for more stability.

With FTTC the providers cannot force this, the system is automated and generally does err on the side of less drop outs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jan-18 19:57:28
Print Post

Is the router connected to an extension socket perchance ?

Standard User snowy44
(learned) Fri 05-Jan-18 20:00:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi

No directly into the master test socket.

I have checked with a HG612 modem and get the same high CRC readings over the same period of time.

Does it look like there could be an issue on the line between my property to the exchange?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jan-18 20:16:04
Print Post

Possibly ...

Is the line noise free ?

Print Thread

Jump to