General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ClaretMatt
(learned) Sat 06-Jan-18 09:08:33
Print Post

Virgin Media expansion

[link to this post]

Hi,

Does anyone know the time frames involved in VM burying cable outside my house, and when from there they will be able to accept an order please?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 06-Jan-18 12:06:08
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media expansion

[re: ClaretMatt] [link to this post]

No guarantee what so ever. One of the original cable installers, now part of VM put them outside my house nearly 20 years ago. I still cannot get service!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jan-18 12:22:21
Print Post

its only a few weeks, well it was here in n.ireland in infill and new areas. they're very quick. you'll get a rep to your door as soon as it goes live

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ClaretMatt
(learned) Sat 06-Jan-18 16:56:41
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Many thanks
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jan-18 17:28:29
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
No guarantee what so ever. One of the original cable installers, now part of VM put them outside my house nearly 20 years ago. I still cannot get service!
There's a similar situation here. VM's cable pass 2-3m in front of 20 of the properties here which were built in the last 80s and VM are not prepared to connect any of them whilst connecting properties on either side including others built after this development.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jan-18 18:03:37
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In London they seem prepared to get a virginmedia cable to you whatever it takes, even if that means putting the cable up someones house and along another 6.

We have no virgin connection points outside our houses, we have cables running on the roof, which go along multiple houses, they then come down the front of the house to the VM point, then back up the houses to the flats (on different levels) with more splitters used.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 06-Jan-18 18:04:25)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jan-18 23:16:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In London they seem prepared to get a virginmedia cable to you whatever it takes
Not so it seems in SW9 hence why we were a not spot for so long, VM passing the front of the development with 21 flats ripe for an easy install (the remaining 50 odd properties not much chance) and all with long EO lines to the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington meaning ADSL connections of around 4-5Mbps for most although some of us did manage to occasionally tweak our systems to get 9-11 Mbps.
Standard User Nitro93
(newbie) Sat 06-Jan-18 23:16:40
Print Post

If you're in a new build Lightning area like mine, it took roughly 5 months after the cable passed my house for it to become available, baring in mind this is a total fresh build with absolutely no history cable in the area at all, was fortunate to be in the initial rollout area. Usual time frame according to VM these days if your area is just an expansion of a current VM build is around 4/6 weeks
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jan-18 07:42:07
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
In London they seem prepared to get a virginmedia cable to you whatever it takes
Not so it seems in SW9 hence why we were a not spot for so long, VM passing the front of the development with 21 flats ripe for an easy install (the remaining 50 odd properties not much chance) and all with long EO lines to the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington meaning ADSL connections of around 4-5Mbps for most although some of us did manage to occasionally tweak our systems to get 9-11 Mbps.
Interesting, I wonder if my area was done by Telewest or someone else who didn't mind too much... I will take some pics of the VM junction box when I get chance on the side of a restaurant, you've never seen anything like it. A whole street of houses going into 2 boxes, meant for 2 houses.

I'm Shepherds Bush (W12).

I know when one of the neighbours removed a wall VM had to come around last minute in panic and hook a bunch of houses up properly, from a junction a few houses the other way to me where again the wires just shot out in all directions.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 07-Jan-18 07:48:54)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jan-18 07:57:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
In London they seem prepared to get a virginmedia cable to you whatever it takes, even if that means putting the cable up someones house and along another 6.

Not exactly correct, I was told by Virgin Media that they will never be down my road and side roads due to our area being a conservation area.

I asked a couple of years back about the near future and they responded with "not within the next 20 years", their exact words.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
  Print Thread

Jump to