General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadbandman
(regular) Thu 11-Jan-18 13:18:25
Print Post

Re: I can finally get FTTP/FTTC, question?

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I assume the holes are fairly large? It needs a reasonable diameter hole to fit the plug of an ethernet cable through - if they are large then fine but worth being sure.

yeah they are decently sized, I have ethernet cables to test but I would need a long one. First engineer visit is on 22nd, then in house work on 31. Be interested to see what they say about the outside part first
(regular) Thu 11-Jan-18 13:36:02
Print Post

[re: broadbandman] [link to this post]

one last question

I'm currently on SKY ADSL, my contract with them ends in march, I will pay up last remaining 2 months

BT said they will contact SKY to take over the line, I presume that won't be an issue? I don't want to ring sky and cancel and have no internet for 2 weeks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Jan-18 14:04:02
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
generally you don't use patch cables, therefore you either use keystones or just a punchdown faceplate. So the holes don't need to be so big.
I am well aware of that and why I advised not doing so but also gave advice if the OP still wants to follow that route.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-Jan-18 17:07:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadbandman:
one last question

I'm currently on SKY ADSL, my contract with them ends in march, I will pay up last remaining 2 months

BT said they will contact SKY to take over the line, I presume that won't be an issue? I don't want to ring sky and cancel and have no internet for 2 weeks
You are in effect migrating your broadband using the current system that replaced the MAC system.

You do not contact Sky at all at this stage. Doing so is what could cause a mess-up.

The system is "Gaining Provider led", in effect controlled completely by the gaining ISP. When you place the order with BT, Sky will be notified and should send you a communication telling you anything you will need to pay to settle your account. They are not allowed to initiate an offers to you to get you to stay, but can respond if you ask for offers. (Which you won't be doing).

See Ofcom GC22 Paragraphs 22.10 - 22.13, and 22.15.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74496/13801Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Jan-18 18:59:21
Print Post

Check your phone line length from the existing PCP DP plus any extra from that PCP to the new FTTC.

That line length is a major factor in what VDSL speed you will get in practice.

Your phone line may be strangely routed.

"My" FTTC is 10 Metres from my front door.

The PCP is about 40 Metres, on a green-field site and this was the show-house.

BUT the actual phone line length is about 350 Metres, confirmed by a BT engineer and myself actually tracing it; plus another 50 Metres linking the FTTC to the PCP, so on the cusp where the VDSL maximum speed starts to drop of sharply.

-------------

Also try to ensure that you are getting maximum performance out of your present ADSL, particularly doing Quiet Line Tests etc.

Easier to sort out before VDSL is installed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-Jan-18 19:30:10
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

The poster is getting FTTP wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74496/13801Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jan-18 17:04:52
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

How does Cat5e fall short? Ethernet is either 10Mbps, 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps connections and no intermediate connection speeds.

If cat5e was not connecting at 1000 Mbps then likely the cable was CCA type, copper coated aluminium which is cheaper and can be problematic on longer runs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:15:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
How does Cat5e fall short? Ethernet is either 10Mbps, 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps connections and no intermediate connection speeds.

If cat5e was not connecting at 1000 Mbps then likely the cable was CCA type, copper coated aluminium which is cheaper and can be problematic on longer runs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N8Y8TFI/ref=o...

I ordered that before, I hope it will suffice
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:30:26
Print Post

I hope you can cancel your order as those cables are a con and are not cat7, they are not even to cat5. You only need to read some of the reviews to see that people have complained about them.

Be very careful when buying cat7. I've had so many of my customers contact me because they baught cheap cables thinking they were cat7 when they weren't
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:32:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If you do a speed test from lets say a gigabit NAS drive using cat5e quite often the speed is just a little below gigabit speeds. So this does not allow for future speed increases. Bettter to install once than having to replace (more cost effective)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to