General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:34:53
Print Post

Re: I can finally get FTTP/FTTC, question?

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

And so it should be since GigE has a throughput limit of 940 Mbps due to overheads in the transport protocols

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:40:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

When using CAT6 cables I get around 113MB/s, but when using CAT5e it drops down to around 102MB/s. This is why I would always recommend CAT6 over CAT5e if someone is having FTTP becuase they are more likely at some point to be using larger media files.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:43:00
Print Post

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/5gbps-ethern...

Seems my cat5e I installed in our house is pretty future proof. Two and half times what I have will be plenty for years to come.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadbandman
(regular) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:46:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
I hope you can cancel your order as those cables are a con and are not cat7, they are not even to cat5. You only need to read some of the reviews to see that people have complained about them.

Be very careful when buying cat7. I've had so many of my customers contact me because they baught cheap cables thinking they were cat7 when they weren't

Yep, just cancelled it. Who knew buying cables would be tricky
(member) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:49:52
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:

Seems my cat5e I installed in our house is pretty future proof. Two and half times what I have will be plenty for years to come.

Shame you didn't read what you posted " 5 Gigabit Ethernet—also allows for up to 5Gbps over Cat 6 cabling."

It means to get that speed you will have to replace your cat5e with at least cat6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Jan-18 19:54:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:

Shame you didn't read what you posted " 5 Gigabit Ethernet—also allows for up to 5Gbps over Cat 6 cabling."

It means to get that speed you will have to replace your cat5e with at least cat6
I have to laugh!

Maybe you should read what RONSKI posted ... then compare it with the beginning of:-
A new Ethernet standard that allows for up to 2.5Gbps over normal Cat 5e cables (the ones you probably have in your house) has been approved by the IEEE. The standard—formally known as IEEE 802.3bz-2016, 2.5G/5GBASE-T, or just 2.5 and 5 Gigabit Ethernet—also allows for up to 5Gbps over Cat 6 cabling.
It seems to fit precisely. He didn't claim the final part of that paragraph, did he!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74496/13801Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(member) Fri 12-Jan-18 20:11:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So an acticle from 2016, what happend then to these speeds? Oh wait, yep that's right reality (it's called cost). Cheaper to get some CAT6 cables, some cheap NICs from a well known auction site for less than 25 pounds and if by magic you have a 10 Gigabit network.

Those that want to hang onto Cat 5e be my guest. I guess it gives me more customers when they finally wake up from their dream. Though I prefer being the good guy and tell people they are making a mistake. I see a lot eveyday that don't.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jan-18 21:58:33
Print Post

It's a real shame you didn't read what I wrote wink

A new Ethernet standard that allows for up to 2.5Gbps over normal Cat 5e cables (the ones you probably have in your house)

1Gbps x 2.5 = 2.5Gbps

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jan-18 22:14:48
Print Post

The reality is that I started fitting cat5e in my house in 2002, if I ever need more than what that can cope with I will replace it, but so far it's served me well for 16 years.

Currently the average household just doesn't need 10Gbps networking, I'd say I'm well above the average household and I certainly don't need it, and even if I did have it my server wouldn't be able to read and write to its discs quick enough to make much use of it. I have a 24 port switch with not many spare ports, so the whole house is well served, so links are not over saturated.

However if I was starting afresh then yes it would make sense, but just to replace my existing network cables because you think it's a mistake to hang on to them is a plain waste of my time.

(member) Fri 12-Jan-18 22:20:33
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

No offense, but we are talking about what cables to install now it's 2018, not 2002.

I have several servers at home and even my old one from 2012 could cope with it.

Edited by robertcrowther (Fri 12-Jan-18 22:31:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to