General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Fri 12-Jan-18 18:58:17
Print Post

Sudden speed drop after router lost connection.

[link to this post]

Hi,

I got up this morning to find the router was not connected to the internet i rebooted and it looked to be working fine however we were streaming catch up TV earlier and my PC was realy slow i ran a speed test over Ethernet and got this result, i also tested with my phone and got a similar result using Wi-fi i have checked the modem settings and the link rate is showing 9996/8226 (my link rate used to be 39999 and 9995 Kbps) could someone explain what is likely to be causing this.
Thanks in advance.

Speed test - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Fri 12-Jan-18 18:58:43)

(committed) Fri 12-Jan-18 20:14:30
Print Post

Re: Sudden speed drop after router lost connection.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Shortly after posting the above i lost connection again all lights were on but the Broadband light was flashing and the internet light would not come on, after half an hour it connected but my link rate is showing still 9996/8226 not 39999/9995 Kbps like it used to be.

New speed test -
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jan-18 20:34:31
Print Post

Do you have clear dialling tone on the phone line ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Sat 13-Jan-18 11:09:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Do you have clear dialling tone on the phone line ?

Just checked and there is a small amount of crackling when listening to the dial tone.
(committed) Sat 13-Jan-18 11:39:34
Print Post

Last night my link speed was 9996/8226 Kbps and earlier it was the same, i have been on to TT support (online chat) and it looks like they have done something as it was showing up for 14 hours earlier and now the link speed is showing back to normal (see below) but my speeds are still poor.

DSL Type: VDSL
Cable Status: Connected
Link Rate: 9998/39999 Kbps
Connection Type: Dynamic IP
Network Status: Connected
Connection Uptime: 0 Day 0 Hour 56 Min 52 Sec
Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Sat 13-Jan-18 11:55:17
Print Post

I recently had a line fault on our Zen/Openreach FTTC line.

In the windy weather after Christmas our broadband ( which is normally 70/20 with a SNR below 2 and very reliable ) kept dropping and re-connecting. Sometimes slower and sometimes closer to 70/20.

On the voice line ( both voice and broadband are with Zen ) there was audible noise and I logged a voice fault. Although it took two Openreach engineer visits to find and fix two bad joints the voice circuit is now noise free and the broadband connection stable.

Currently the broadband is stable with a sync rate is 56/20 with a max attainable of 64/20 and a SNR of 6.2. It's been like that since the second engineer visit on Wednesday.

We're now waiting for the DLM to do its thing. In particular the Interleave depth is 1105 and it's normally much lower. Prior to the second engineer visit we were getting 120,00 FEC errors downstream per hours and 99,000 upstream FEC errors. We're now getting 117 and 15 respectively. Looking at the logging data in detail when the Interleaving went up from 8 to 1100 the ping time to Google's DNS servers went from 8ms to 16ms.

Here's hoping DLM kicks in soon!
Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Sat 13-Jan-18 12:10:19
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

Looks like DLM can take a fair few days to kick back in. The Zen article says SLM will wait 9 days and can, if there are multiple periods of instability, wait up to 64 days. I'm guessing that because we logged a voice fault the DLM profile won't be manually reset and we need to wait for the DLM to collect stats to reprofile our line.

Zen DLM Information
(committed) Sat 13-Jan-18 12:45:35
Print Post

Several line tests later i now have my own service centre case manager who is going to call me.

My line stats are back to 9998/39999 Kbps but my speed is still poor at 8.99 Kbps down and 9.45 Kbps up so fingers crossed it will be sorted soon.

The noise on the phone line has now gone.

Is it likely that all these disconnects have caused DLM to kick in and if so how long normally does it take for speeds to start to increase?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jan-18 12:52:32
Print Post

If DLM was the problem then your sync speed would not be 39999

If throughput is still low after sync has improved it suggests that ISP was using IP Profile as some rate limiter or input into a QoS algorithm and they've not seen the increase in the setting (common with PlusNet)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Sat 13-Jan-18 13:53:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We had a DLM resync while I was out and we're now at 69/20 with an SNR of 5.2 and an Interleave depth of 8 which is nice.

I guess now we have wait a little longer for the SNR target to be dropped from 5.2 to about 2.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to