General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thejinkazama
(newbie) Sun 14-Jan-18 13:54:56
Print Post

New build property - broadband reservation

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have recently purchased a new build property which is scheduled for completion in August/September this year. I am keen to sort our broadband as soon as possible as I have suffered with non fibre internet in my current property for years. According to DSL checker's address search (postcode EH48 2XS) and BT's website, fibre is available. What is best to do to guarantee we will be able to get this service a few months down the line when we move in? Can we reserve space on the cabinet?

Thanks
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Sun 14-Jan-18 15:23:32
Print Post

Re: New build property - broadband reservation

[re: thejinkazama] [link to this post]

No you can't reserve anything. How have you actually checked availability for a new address that doesn't exist yet? If you just used the post code checker it is not accurate. You will not know the true picture until the property is connected to the BT network. Is the developer making any promises about what broadband service will be available? If there are 30 or more properties I believe BT will install FTTP if requested by the developer. I would be asking them questions.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sun 14-Jan-18 15:59:23
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

If Openreach have been brought in at the planning stage, new addresses will be in the database before the house is built. The new build I bought a year ago had the address in the Openreach database at least 4 months before the developer had even started building the house.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Jan-18 16:00:46
Print Post

As realalemadrid says.

Have you checked with the builder if the houses in the new build will be able to get FTTx?

FTTP requires the builder to have designed in and installed the ducting and underground boxes. Very few seem to do that.

FTTC requires there to be a FTTC cabinet already serving the precise location, because if there is just a phone cabinet (PCP) it won't necessarily get a fibre companion for ages.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74496/13801Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jan-18 17:13:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br... suggests VDSL2/FTTC from cabinet 15 on Bathgate exchange

As for speeds as postcode has not yet made it to a OS quarterly release yet I've no idea of its location.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mackayd
(newbie) Sun 14-Jan-18 18:50:45
Print Post

I take it this is the new Taylor Wimpey development in Wester Inch?

You will be around 500 - 600m away from cabinet 15. There was recently a second fibre cab added so hopefully enough capacity for the extra houses.

Also Virgin Media are currently in the progress (or will be in the next couple of months) of extending their network throughout Wester Inch
  Print Thread

Jump to