General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vini
(regular) Mon 15-Jan-18 12:48:27
Print Post

What options do we have with the new FoD pricing and regs?

[link to this post]

My in-laws live in a remote area, serviced currently by ADSL2 (at least I think it's 2, though it may as well be dialup). They currently get 1.3Mbps down and ~0.25Mbps up. So streaming videos/audio is a pipe dream.

I'd sooner something was done for people like this, than people like me who keep getting emails saying I'm now able to upgrade to 300MB... and im not sure if the new FoD, is a step towards that.

Given the "new" FoD/Openreach changes, do things look a bit rosier for them? I've checked out the proposed 2018 pricing, but don't really understand it in all honesty.

They're currently running of the MRWHA exchange, and lie 2.5k from the exchange, and also 2.5k from the nearest FTTC enabled cab. They're served by over head/pole telephone lines.

I appreciate that they can't just stamp their feet and expect BT to run some new copper direct, or what not, but what options do they have under these new FoD regs?

Who do they speak to to investigate things?
What rough costs might they be looking at?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jan-18 13:36:32
Print Post

Re: What options do we have with the new FoD pricing and reg

[re: Vini] [link to this post]

The option is order now and pay under current scheme

or

Order later and hope next scheme will be cheaper.

The monthly costs with the new scheme are lower, but over a three year period expect the changes to be cost neutral over all, i.e. pay less per month but pay more upfront, that said for long runs like yours I'd expect the cost to be higher overall.

The only upside is if the might be 30 or 50 premises that count as passed by your PON and thus reduce the charge to you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 15-Jan-18 13:36:36
Print Post

Are those 2.5k distances actual cable runs or straight line?

If they are actual cable runs then their service is underperforming. At 2.5k I would expect ADSL2+ to be delivering 6 to 8 Mbps, and if their cabinet is 2.5k then there is the potential to get around 3Mb on FTTC - I ave accces to one line that is just under 3km and that is getting about 3Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vini
(regular) Mon 15-Jan-18 15:24:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's 2.5k as the crow flies (so I would assume slightly more). However, it is fed across fields by pole, so it could be quite direct.

Equally because its over fields, I doubt it would pick up many other properties to reduce the cost frown

I'm fairly useless at maths, but using old pricing, I had roughly got it down as;

£10k install
£300+VAT per month (for 3 years)

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 15-Jan-18 16:13:25
Print Post

Have found out where the aggregation node is or the distance to it?
Standard User Vini
(regular) Wed 17-Jan-18 02:48:48
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

No, how do I find that? I assumed the Agg mode was nearest cab with FTTC?

Standard User Vini
(regular) Wed 17-Jan-18 02:53:41
Print Post

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.
This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.

Whaley Bridge MRWHA
Cabinet 4

Standard User Bill100
(learned) Wed 17-Jan-18 04:53:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does anyone know what exactly happens on 1st February?

Are the providers Fluidone and Cerberus geared up to use the new order process? Will they be adjusting their FOD ongoing prices and contract terms to match the native FTTP ones?

Or is there going be a period of time where no one can actually order FOD until the providers release new products.

Maybe Fluidone / Cerberus are best placed to answer this...
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jan-18 08:25:40
Print Post

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bill100:
Does anyone know what exactly happens on 1st February?

Are the providers Fluidone and Cerberus geared up to use the new order process? Will they be adjusting their FOD ongoing prices and contract terms to match the native FTTP ones?

Or is there going be a period of time where no one can actually order FOD until the providers release new products.

Maybe Fluidone / Cerberus are best placed to answer this...

I think you're better off actually speaking to the mentioned ISPs to enquire about their plans for FoD under the new pricing. At present no-one on here - unless they're Mystic Meg - will be able to tell you what ISPs will charge in future for FoD.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User burble
(member) Wed 17-Jan-18 08:54:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vini:
It's 2.5k as the crow flies (so I would assume slightly more). However, it is fed across fields by pole, so it could be quite direct.

Equally because its over fields, I doubt it would pick up many other properties to reduce the cost frown

I'm fairly useless at maths, but using old pricing, I had roughly got it down as;

£10k install
£300+VAT per month (for 3 years)

I would suggest the line is much longer than 2.5km or there is another problem if they are on ADSL2, when we where on ADSL2 we got about 1.3 on a line about 5.5km long
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to