General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Mon 15-Jan-18 23:42:14
Print Post

NewBuild Neighbour speed difference

[link to this post]

New estate my row of four s/detached houses were all wired up the same day to the same hole in the ground. On Infinity2 my neighbour gets 68+Mbps Down and 18+Mbps Up. When I tried to go to infinity 2 my line tested at 50Mbps and was deemed to be maxed out. I created quite a prolific thread on here “Disasterous Migration” and the consensus said that for 800metres 50Mbps was about right (this was all prior to the ‘fibre Boost”).
I can only assume that by some stroke of luck, my immediate neighbour must have a much shorter path than me to the cabinet as I get 45Mbps Down and 9Mbps Up wink I ended up backing off to Infinity 1 as there was little point in paying more for infinity 2. Luck of the draw eh?
[By the way Ethernet 1 metre into BT HHub 6 line into latest BT master socket]
Jamie
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Thu 18-Jan-18 12:28:53
Print Post

Re: NewBuild Neighbour speed difference

[re: jayteepics] [link to this post]

I've checked now with 4 other neighbours within 50 yards of my house and they get between 64 and 76Mbps Down
We are all on cabinet 12 Langport
I can only conclude that my line is badly "impacted"
Seems pretty unfair to me.
Can I get something done about it especially as I was fed the "it's normal to get 50Mpbs at 800 metres" horsesh*t because I don't believe one line out of 6 that goes down the same hole takes a detour around the somerset levels to get to cabinet 12 wink
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 18-Jan-18 12:43:12
Print Post

I would say that those getting 76Mpbs are the very lucky ones especially at 800m. I would normally expect max sync at up to about 400m and from there, speeds to drop off down to about 65 to 70 at 500m. So, even you 50Mbps at 800m is a lot better than "normal".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jan-18 13:25:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

At 600m actual cable route my connection is around 48/14 and the cable quality seems to be reasonably good.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jan-18 13:26:02
Print Post

When you say you've "checked" do you mean you've actually seen live connections at their properties and that is what they are actually getting or do you mean you've looked on the online checker? If it is the latter it may well be their records that are wrong.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Jan-18 13:39:57
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Agreed we need to know what this checking is...

If the posters original checkers figures were high and came down as soon they went live, i.e. feedback into system then its likely the same will happen to other people.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 18-Jan-18 13:47:33
Print Post

I'd be very surprised if your neighbour gets 76Mb at 800m from the cabinet.
That's full sync. Many can't get that at half the distance.
Sounds like your neighbour is quoting their package speed.

Can you post the estimates from the BTw Broadband Availability Checker

Also, where are you getting the figures for your line? From the modem stats or from a speed test?
Can I get something done about it

It depends.
If you are below the estimates then maybe.
If you are within the estimates for your line then no.
Just because your neighbours get higher speeds doesn't mean you can.
Crosstalk is a random lottery. Interference from a neighbouring line can take as much as (maybe even more) 20Mb off your current sync speed.

Different modems can perform better than others. Different DSL patch cables perform better than others.

A new DSL patch cable gave me a 4Mb increase in sync. Swapping modems has got me another 4-5Mb.

DLM can also play a huge part in sync speed.
If you are a new line on a Huawei cabinet then your line is likely interleaved. This takes roughly 10% off your sync.
If that's the case, by the time DLM applies G.INP and reduces the target SNRM to 3dB your sync could climb from 45Mb to about 60-65Mb.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Jan-18 13:51:03
Print Post

The horse**** is true. But speed depends as much on three other aspects as it does distance: The gauge of the copper (ie thickness), the crosstalk (interference from adjacent pairs), and DLM intervention (protection from bit errors).

That your neighbours get much better than 50Mbps at 800m is not an indication that the "normal" result is horse****, but more likely that your circumstances are not normal, and you perhaps are on a thicker version of copper for at least some of the length. Perhaps all of you, perhaps not. It happens, fair or not.

The 2nd impediment is down to crosstalk, which can explain drops in speed of as much as 50% of the theoretical. It is also hard to predict, and can regularly result in a 20%+ difference in speeds for the same distance. It largely depends on which pairs are adjacent to yours on the cable(s) back to the cabinet, and whether they have subscribed to FTTC, fair or not.

In addition, once a line becomes susceptible to errors (caused either from crosstalk, or from external sources, or a fault), then it also runs the risk of DLM intervention, which can take another 10-15%. This one usually feels unfair.

There's a lot more that could be explained on the topic, but isn't worth the time and effort if it is to be labelled horse**** by someone who knows jack****.

Can you get something done? In a nutshell: You can get someone to attend if your speed is below the handback threshold. If they can't fix it, then you can leave your ISP.
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Thu 18-Jan-18 16:12:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The 76 and 66 Mbps were verbal a 71.8 was DSLChecker my immediate attached neighbour sent me a Speedchecker test result [don't know how accurate that test would be compared to TB's]
Ping 10ms
Download 69.84Mbps
Upload 18.44Mbps
BT
WiFi Network

I could probably get a copy of their HomeHub stats, however in my frustration I seem to have [censored] off several people on here for which I apologise and TBH I only know what I am told and with your feedback I don't think we can be that far away from the Cab but I was told that by OR March/April last year

[ps is there a way to attach screen grabs to posts please?]
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Thu 18-Jan-18 16:15:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My immediate (attached) neighbour ran a "Speedchecker" app test yesterday and I've just posted the actual numbers a few minutes ago
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to