General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Wed 17-Jan-18 18:34:09
Print Post

Fibre finally comes to EO line

[link to this post]

First, a bit of background. We're in a rural village (40 properties) on a poor exchange only line, about 4 miles back to the exchange, Rampton (SLRAM). The lines locally are poor and noisy, and ADSL is poor, and slowly deteriorating. There are no above ground cabinets between the pole and the exchange, only underground inspection chambers.

Historically, all 600-odd lines were exchange only lines with no local PCPs, and no hope of fibre. However, Notts County Council's 'Better Broadband For Nottinghamshire' stepped in and has installed new cabinets in the villages over the last couple of years, I would guess 90% of village properties on the exchange now have FTTC.

However, our 40 properties were not included in the scheme. Last year, BBFN were still telling me that there was nothing on the horizon, but earlier this year, 20 properties at the nearest (to the exchange) end were suddenly upgraded to FTTP from pole mounted pods, with 300Mb ultrafast available. I was in touch with BBFN again, and they informed me that this end of the village (the remaining 20 properties) would be getting fibre between January and March 2018. Naturally, I thought more FTTP.

However, BBFN told me we would be connected to a new PCP, cabinet P5. I assume this will serve the remaining 4 poles and 20 properties in the village. According to roadworks.org, this new PCP is to be situated about 200 metres down the road from me, next to properties with FTTP - work starts on March 13th.

I thought I had got the hang of this FTTP business, I was rather looking forward to moving from a crackly EO line, but it now looks like we will be getting a FTTC solution. Is this sort of arrangement of a cabinet to serve only 20 residential properties unusual?

Does this mean we will remain on our EO line for voice, which is absolutely diabolical at times?

Is a new PCP install likely to be G.Fast enabled?

Sorry for the long winded post and the questions, but if anyone has any pointers as to what's going on, I'm all ears!

eclipse internet
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jan-18 18:45:13
Print Post

Re: Fibre finally comes to EO line

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sparky_paul:
I thought I had got the hang of this FTTP business, I was rather looking forward to moving from a crackly EO line, but it now looks like we will be getting a FTTC solution. Is this sort of arrangement of a cabinet to serve only 20 residential properties unusual?

Not unusual at all, I have only seen the odd couple like this.
I have also seen it the other way round where there are about 6 homes connected to my PCP (phone cabinet) that can get FTTP, the remaining 300+ homes can only get FTTC.

Does this mean we will remain on our EO line for voice, which is absolutely diabolical at times?

No, you will either get a small AIO (All In One) cabinet which contains both the PCP and the Fibre hardware, or you will get both a PCP and Fibre cabinets.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.77 Mbps (down), 31.36 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
(experienced) Wed 17-Jan-18 18:59:44
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info Paul, I'll be glad to get rid of the long voice line.

eclipse internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jan-18 19:01:03
Print Post

Thanks for the info Paul, I'll be glad to get rid of the long voice line.

Well it will still be a long voice line, just that there will be a PCP cabinet in between.

Paul

(experienced) Wed 17-Jan-18 19:07:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well it will still be a long voice line, just that there will be a PCP cabinet in between.

Not good news, the lines back to the exchange are really poor. frown

eclipse internet
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jan-18 19:20:20
Print Post

Not good news, the lines back to the exchange are really poor. frown

It was the same on my copper line here, which was why I moved everything over to fibre, so our copper line is no longer being used.

Your copper line should be ok for voice, the broadband will only use the copper line from the cabinet to your home.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 17-Jan-18 19:21:17)

(experienced) Wed 17-Jan-18 19:41:47
Print Post

It was the same on my copper line here, which was why I moved everything over to fibre, so our copper line is no longer being used.

Your copper line should be ok for voice, the broadband will only use the copper line from the cabinet to your home.

I would have loved to move voice over to FTTP, voice lines here are really poor. We have had multiple incidents of flooding of underground connection chambers over the years, and there are always ongoing issues with intermittent audible noise.

eclipse internet
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Wed 17-Jan-18 20:02:41
Print Post

20 properties is fairly low number for an all in one rearrangement, FTTP usually suits smaller projects than FTTC, but each project has it's own set of variables and the gainshare money still has to be best value I guess.
One thing is fairly certain though. You won't g.fast too soon.

Edited by witchunt (Wed 17-Jan-18 20:05:31)

(experienced) Wed 17-Jan-18 20:13:29
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
One thing is fairly certain though. You won't g.fast too soon.

I can't say that won't be disappointing, after watching the other 20 properties in the village get 300Mb FTTP a few months ago.

eclipse internet
(experienced) Thu 18-Jan-18 13:04:56
Print Post

One other thing which made me think FTTP was coming was when we had a new pole installed before Christmas. The new pole has a loop in the cables clipped to the pole where the FTTP pod was fitted on the other poles, and a new empty duct was laid at the side of the new cables to the inspection box.

I wonder if FTTP was the original plan, but for some reason they swapped to a FTTC solution?

eclipse internet

Edited by sparky_paul (Thu 18-Jan-18 13:06:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to