General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jan-18 16:29:45
Print Post

Are new builds FTTP enabled?

[link to this post]

Reason i ask is we have had quite a few new builds in the last few years near and around where i live. None of these have the traditional pole and phone cable going into the house, but are being lived in. So are developers future proofing houses by installing the cables for FTTP, or is it simply the owners havent ordered a phone line yet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jan-18 16:34:38
Print Post

Re: Are new builds FTTP enabled?

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

New build estates have not had telephone poles on the whole for some years, i.e. underground infrastructure is preferred

Without an actual location all one can say is that some new build is FTTP ready when people move in, but if it was started pre 2016 then this may not be the case. Also builders have a choice of full fibre providers who they can partner with.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jan-18 16:35:11
Print Post

Depends on what the developers request. BT will do FTTP for new builds over a certain number of houses but if the developer doesn't request it then it won't happen. Developers may also get other providers to provide telecoms.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jan-18 16:37:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Being underground makes sense, as there have been Openreach guys doing works to the houses, without any obvious signs of cabling.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jan-18 18:00:05
Print Post

Even in older homes it is often underground, e.g. my old street in London we had no visible cables outdoors but I was in a property that was easily 50+ years old. Over 50% of the places I've been in within London have been underground, none new builds.

I think there are laws now which do not permit the usage of cables overhead ie I do not think you can easily just pop up a bunch of overhead cabling now.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jan-18 18:18:33
Print Post

Overhead fed services are often frowned upon by site developers, and a UG duct leaves scope for both.

In several large estates round this way are Openreach FTTP only.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jan-18 20:45:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Reason i ask is we have had quite a few new builds in the last few years near and around where i live. None of these have the traditional pole and phone cable going into the house
There's nothing new about that. Since at least the 1970s increasing numbers of councils have insisted that all utility cables be underground. My house was built in 1984 and has underground cabling.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 22-Jan-18 20:54:19)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 10:16:20
Print Post

Our estate was built in the seventies, it's all direct buried in the ground, so no ducts either. Some bright spark thought it would save money.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 23-Jan-18 12:54:09
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Our estate was built in the seventies, it's all direct buried in the ground, so no ducts either. Some bright spark thought it would save money.

That bright spark was probably correct though.

Icaras
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 15:42:35
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In the short term yes, but every time they needed to replace a cable they have to dig it up, so in the long term I suspect not. Ducting isn't expensive, it's getting in the ground that costs, but if you're digging a trench anyway then to put ducting in is negligible.

Like using ally cables was saving money, but look at the problems that caused.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to