General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cartwright33
(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 17:38:46
Print Post

FTTrn

[link to this post]

Hello, I'm currently about 1.5km away from my Fibre cab and consequently get quite low speed. However, last week a new box appeared outside my house. It's not a box shape I've ever seen before. It stands about 4 feet high and is square in shape, probably about a foot on each side.

It's definitely an OR box, same green colour, same positioned air vents in the door, and it's connected to a new OR footway box. It was put in by a company that said they were working for Carillion Telent. It can't be an EO box, too small, and it's smaller than the 128s. The only thing I think it could possible be is a FTTrn box.

So my question is, has anyone seen an FTTrn box in the wild? Does this sound like it, and if so, do you know whether the box is a VDSL box or a g.fast box?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jan-18 17:51:09
Print Post

Re: FTTrn

[re: cartwright33] [link to this post]

G.fast is not being deployed in a FTTrn guise at present, so it will be VDSL2 if its anything

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 18:02:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Excellent. Given it is right outside then I guess that will be giving me 80Mg. As I've already got FTTC albeit slow, I take it this will automatically give me a boost once they move my copper line to this new box. Next worry is what to do with all that speed...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craski
(committed) Mon 22-Jan-18 18:09:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by cartwright33:
It stands about 4 feet high and is square in shape, probably about a foot on each side.

A stand-alone square box at 1ft x 1ft x 4ft doesnt sound like any of the current FTTC or G.Fast cabinets.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User tdw42
(learned) Mon 22-Jan-18 18:11:07
Print Post

Does it look like the one in the pictures in this http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4380813-ftt... article?

I thought Openreach had pretty much given up on FTTrN as the costs to install a power supply cabinet were not that different to an AIO, having not solved the problem of providing remote power (from the exchange and/or customers).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jan-18 18:30:21
Print Post

No automatic boost you need to order a FTTC/VDSL2 based service to get the benefit

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 22-Jan-18 18:46:44
Print Post

The only FTTrn nodes I have seen are either underground or pole mounted.
Other utilities also use green box's , e.g. virgin cable in many areas and water companies for their telemetry equipment, as well as transco for gas.

Edited by witchunt (Mon 22-Jan-18 18:52:10)

(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 19:26:27
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Yes, looks like that. So we have a positive ID... Looking promising.
(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 19:29:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But I already have a vdsl product. Won't the router just see this as a line that suddenly get less noisy?
(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 19:35:00
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Although the new bt footway box next to it, and the duct that connects it to an existing bt manhole does give it away, somewhat.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to