General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Jan-18 23:54:52
Print Post

New line from nearer cabinet.

[link to this post]

Ok so I'm in a really odd situation at my mum's house.

The existing line comes from a FTTC enabled cabinet that is over 2KM away so FTTC is not an option. However there is another cabinet that is 800 meters away which serves the houses on the opposite side of the road. The pole that serves our neighbors opposite is 80 meters away from the house and less then a meter from my mum's land.

I've ordered a new line and the idea is to attempt to persuade the Openreach engineer to connect the new line back to the nearer FTTC cabinet. I'll refuse the installation if OR will not connect back to the nearer cabinet. If OR will not do it then I'll be looking for creative suggestions how it can be done. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make the Openreach engineer connect the line as I require to be able to get FTTC?

Ideas so far are:-
1) Put a home office shed next to the BT pole that goes back to the nearer cabinet and have the line installed to that.
2) I'm thinking 80 meters is too far for an overhead span so would putting in a pole for BT to use help or will they just refuse to use a pole that isn't theirs (for health and safety reasons)?
3) The phone lines here are already on power poles (not BT's own) so could they just attach to the existing power pole midway between?
4) Put in my own pole and run a BT external grade cable back to the pole that we want BT to connect us to. Then all the OR engineer has to do is wire in our cable into the DP..

Will any of these ideas work?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jan-18 00:17:09
Print Post

Re: New line from nearer cabinet.

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

They will not use your pole, they will also not using wiring you have installed.

The office shed is the best idea you had, beyond paying the large sum for a network rearrangement.

Considered getting service at mums and a point to point 5GHz wireless link between the two properties? Requires line of sight.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Jan-18 00:25:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'll see what the OR engineer has to say. If they won't install the line to the right DP and cabinet then the order gets cancelled.

I could also just speak to a neighbor and have a line installed to theirs and a wireless PtP between. If I go down that route though I'll look for a neighbor that is even closer to the cabinet to get full speed FTTC. I have LoS with a few that are close enough to the cab for 80Mbps.

I am interested how much "network rearrangement" might cost. I'm sure that would be cheaper than a shed and running power/Ethernet to the shed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 29-Jan-18 00:26:21
Print Post

Order FTTC from the existing cabinet. It can, and is deliver on lines longer than that. I have visibility of one that is well over 3km long and FTTC is very stable on that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Jan-18 00:46:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yeah but I don't want to be paying for FTTC and getting a slow "ADSL like" speed.

The line is over 2.5km back to the cabinet. Estimated speed is ~7Mbps download and 0.5Mbps upload. ADSL2+ is 5 down and 1 up.

So little to noting to gain from changing the existing line to FTTC.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Jan-18 03:38:45
Print Post

How about a small waterproof box on a fence post with space for the master socket and modem in it? I could use a PoE un-injector to power the modem and run Ethernet back to the house.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jan-18 07:21:22
Print Post

Ring up and cancel the order, Iím telling you now, the line will be routed via the same cabinet as the current line.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jan-18 08:01:30
Print Post

A shed and the PoE will be cheaper, even if you have to pay someone to put up the shed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Mon 29-Jan-18 08:50:27
Print Post

Back in 2012 I had dreadful problems with my line, low speed,etc, did a lot of complaining to OR- CEO, had my line moved from the front pole to a rear pole at bottom of garden,which knocked off about 200mtrs or so to the cabinet.
Was only a couple of hours work,moved me to a spare pair on the cable running to pole at bottom of lane, then running a new 2 pair cable up lane to garden pole, then from there to house.

Edited by Nightglow (Mon 29-Jan-18 08:51:35)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Mon 29-Jan-18 13:05:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Ring up and cancel the order, Iím telling you now, the line will be routed via the same cabinet as the current line.

I (obviously) agree with this. 80m overhead is too far, an overhead span canít be that long-itís against the rules. Many installs go out to Kellyís/Quinnís anyway, so even if the pole was within the permitted distance youíve no chance of convincing one of those guys to put up a new dropwire to a different pole if thereís a quicker way of them doing it as theyíre paid per job.

Iíve seen a situation where a house was fed by a cabinet miles away, yet there was a pole connected to a newer cabinet about 30m in the opposite direction. I did think that if they were lucky enough to get a very understanding Openreach installer who was having a good day then they might have some luck getting a new line fed from the other pole. And theyíd have had to order it as basic ADSL2+ first, then the engineer is flexible about switching cabinets. After that they could have upgraded to FTTC.

But in OPís situation, itís impossible! Sorry.

Icaras

Edited by Icaras (Mon 29-Jan-18 13:09:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to