General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Millerp82
(newbie) Mon 29-Jan-18 16:08:56
Print Post

Aberdeenshire Trial - Rural Superfast

[link to this post]

I'm hoping someone can shine some light on our situation, because I've tried the local council, BDUK, openreach and digital Scotland and no one can tell me anything. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Is there anyway to find out more about the fibre rollout in your area?
Last year these black tubes appeared on pretty much every pole, and the cable overhead appeared thicker. The last tube however stops about half a mile from our property. Since then a new cabinet has sprung up, 1.7 miles from our house. The openreach fibre checker has gone from accepting order but EO line cabinet 11, to the first box of exploring solutions. All positive signs. My worry is that the distance to brand new cabinet and even the black tube will be too far away.

I work from home and file upload and download on the existing 1.2mb line is dire. Im honestly worried I'm going to be spitting distance from pretty decent fibre and unable to benefit. Does anyone know where I can find out if we will be included? Or is it a waiting game?

Edited by Millerp82 (Mon 29-Jan-18 18:33:38)

Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 30-Jan-18 20:47:04
Print Post

Re: Aberdeenshire Trial - Rural Superfast

[re: Millerp82] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Millerp82:
I'm hoping someone can shine some light on our situation, because I've tried the local council, BDUK, openreach and digital Scotland and no one can tell me anything. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Is there anyway to find out more about the fibre rollout in your area?
Last year these black tubes appeared on pretty much every pole, and the cable overhead appeared thicker. The last tube however stops about half a mile from our property. Since then a new cabinet has sprung up, 1.7 miles from our house. The openreach fibre checker has gone from accepting order but EO line cabinet 11, to the first box of exploring solutions. All positive signs. My worry is that the distance to brand new cabinet and even the black tube will be too far away.

I work from home and file upload and download on the existing 1.2mb line is dire. Im honestly worried I'm going to be spitting distance from pretty decent fibre and unable to benefit. Does anyone know where I can find out if we will be included? Or is it a waiting game?

I hope you get something soon, I work for a Wireless company in Aberdeenshire (In fact, judging by your username, I think I've been to see you!) and I have to say you're not alone.

Some many areas just seem completely left behind and on the face of it the logic used by BT for the roll out is questionable at best.

I know places that can get 10-15mbps via FTTC that are getting overbuilt with FTTP, but other communities of 10-30 homes with 0.5mbps ADSL only on EO Lines
Standard User Millerp82
(newbie) Wed 31-Jan-18 08:20:39
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

It's frustrating eh! I can't work out what they're up to. FTTC, FTTP OR FTTrn, or some combination. An engineer last year mentioned gfast to me also.

How rare are Infrastructure installs? I would hate to miss out on decent speed by half a mile. I dont want to sound ungrateful, but 10mbps, although tenfold of an increase, isnt going to stand the test of time once the kids get older.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 31-Jan-18 09:36:49
Print Post

Infrastructure trials aren't rare, however it's quite rare to be on them.

You can contact Openreach https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040... and they will tell you about any plans for your area (might take a week or so).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Jan-18 10:02:46
Print Post

What makes you think it is a trial?

The EO line cabinet 11 makes no sense, you are either an EO line or connected via a cabinet, or are you saying that a new cabinet 11 has appeared?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Millerp82
(newbie) Wed 31-Jan-18 11:11:15
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Thanks Andy. I'll try this one. I filled out one a while back and they replied saying I had to ask my ISP to mark my line before they could even speak to me (whatever that means!)

MrSaffron... Not sure if this reflects what I see happening or not (no schools or hospitals on the line), but Aberdeenshire is part of a trial area http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41122106

The cabinet that has appeared is new, not even live as I know. The current message I'm getting for the existing cabinet is (I may have got confused with the terminology of EO, apologies there is def a cabinet involved):

Exchange name: Kemnay
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: 11
Technology: -

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.

This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 31-Jan-18 11:24:28
Print Post

That cabinet was upgraded to FTTC back in June 2017 under BDUK Scotland.

Unfortunately, you live too far from the cabinet for FTTC, which is why the cabinet shows as fibre enabled but you're unable to order a service.

I would contact Openreach with the form I linked to. I would also contact Superfast Scotland from here https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/contact (if you haven't done already). Also speak to neighbours and get them all to do the same.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Jan-18 11:30:42
Print Post

That trial is nothing to do with the cabinet and what you are seeing, 99% certain.

The full fibre trial is much more about getting more full fibre in areas like Aberdeen itself, hence why a minister got press coverage for visiting a hotel i.e. it will be available to business who can already get superfast options.

Your cabinet based roll out is via the Digital Scotland project some areas are seeing FTTP added to areas that are a long way from the new cabinets, but this is a very small number currently.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Millerp82
(newbie) Wed 31-Jan-18 11:41:47
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Thank Andy... Superfast Scotland couldnt shine any light on the matter when I asked them what was in store at the end of 2017. However, I have since asked again (complete with location of this new green cabinet that appeared last week) and they are looking into it.

I know that the new cabinet, when live, will drastically shorten the distance from the current live cabinet, but still 1.7 miles to the property FTTC.... What can I expect there, sub 10mbps? Perhaps it does make FTTPoD a realistic option when it is live though, with the new pricing starting tomorrow.
Standard User Millerp82
(newbie) Wed 31-Jan-18 11:48:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
That trial is nothing to do with the cabinet and what you are seeing, 99% certain.

The full fibre trial is much more about getting more full fibre in areas like Aberdeen itself, hence why a minister got press coverage for visiting a hotel i.e. it will be available to business who can already get superfast options.

Your cabinet based roll out is via the Digital Scotland project some areas are seeing FTTP added to areas that are a long way from the new cabinets, but this is a very small number currently.

Thanks... I'm waiting for them to respond to me since this new cabinet appeared, as they told me there were no plans in my area and then it popped up a few weeks later. I can see so many things happening, but no one knows anything. Maybe that's pretty standard.

I had started the community fibre adress collection, but perhaps this is now pointless until I can establish what the plans are. I just fear that the 6 houses at the very rural road end have been overlooked and won't get a second bite at the cherry.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to