General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jd21uk
(newbie) Mon 29-Jan-18 21:36:32
Print Post

Fibre status in Whitehall

[link to this post]

Hi guys

Pretty painful wait for Fibre in Central London (I think we were initially promised 2012), fairly similar to a lot of other places in zone 1 and 2. Live in an apartment building with 60 or so flats. ADSL has slowed from 20MB to more like 5 in the 10 years I've lived here. Currently on Relish which when quick is great but slows greatly in the evenings (but still better than ADSL).

Looks like there is fibre in the road for businesses but other apartments have the same status. Wondered if anyone had any more info on what's going on. Progress has been my cabinet saying fibre enabled on Openreach's website (and lots of Openreach vans in the road recently):

Exchange name: Whitehall
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: -
Technology: Pending - EO Line

Picture from BT DSLChecker: https://i.imgur.com/DMR70Qc.png

A few days ago there was the same message as another thread on here (VDSL FTTC and SOGEA is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- This cabinet is temporarily unavailable for fibre orders due to engineering works) but that seems to have disappeared

Any info gratefully received
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 30-Jan-18 07:33:43
Print Post

Re: Fibre status in Whitehall

[re: jd21uk] [link to this post]

Lots of FTTP going in Whitehall area. No FTTC that I know of.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Jan-18 07:46:14
Print Post

The FTTP is starting to appear WC2N 5DN (The National Gallery) has FTTP available, so looks like they've started.

In existing flats FTTP can be a bit more complex compared to individual buildings, this is due to wayleave permissions needed from private landlords.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jd21uk
(newbie) Tue 30-Jan-18 10:38:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys having put in a few postcodes from my road (John Adam Street) and nearby ones into the various checkers it looks like businesses in my road have availability but not private residences.

Can I ask what needs to happen for fibre to come to my building (both admin and physical work)? We have a building management company as well as a residents board for the block

Edited by jd21uk (Tue 30-Jan-18 10:39:20)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jan-18 10:43:44
Print Post

You probably need your building management company to talk to BT.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jan-18 10:49:31
Print Post

I used to work facing Trafalgar square and we had a pitiful 8Mbps line for the office. It is another example of Central London speeds being as poor as some very remote locations.

Let us know how you get on with getting fibre!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Jan-18 12:58:08
Print Post

Spent some time finding more and more FTTP, there was some residential, but the ones without were the ones that looked like flats.

So as suggested it needs some communication between building owner/management and Openreach. It is possible there was some contact, but too often this gets missed or ignored as management may not realise what the upgrade means.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jd21uk
(newbie) Tue 30-Jan-18 13:18:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Spent some time finding more and more FTTP, there was some residential, but the ones without were the ones that looked like flats.

So as suggested it needs some communication between building owner/management and Openreach. It is possible there was some contact, but too often this gets missed or ignored as management may not realise what the upgrade means.

Thanks Andrew. I will try to get in touch with them
  Print Thread

Jump to