General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CoupeRacing
(newbie) Tue 30-Jan-18 11:30:46
Print Post

Can I pay to get fibre to the house

[link to this post]

Hi

I currently have FTTC - ( fibre to the cabinet ) and I live 2.4km away from said cabinet.

I currently get a download speed at the router of about 10Mbs.
However to get this speed the S/N numbers and error correction have been played with and the result is random drops in service.
Correcting the above results in a 50% drop in speed.

So I called BT and they advised that I cant pay to have FTTP ( fibre to the premises ) - or at the very least its not something they would do - but maybe I could get the job done by a third party !

Is this the case ?
If the cost were half way reasonable - I would pay for a decent speed and one that is stable.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thank you
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jan-18 11:36:15
Print Post

Re: Can I pay to get fibre to the house

[re: CoupeRacing] [link to this post]

You could potentially get FTTPoD - there aren't many providers but people here have used both Cerberus and FluidOne.

Have a look at this thread as an example. There are other threads on this board so have a look through and you will find many answers.

One of the discussions also covers that there are changes coming in the next few months to how FTTPoD is charged - likely that the ongoing monthly rental will be lower but the install costs would be higher.

Be prepared though - it is expensive. It could cost you thousands for install (install costs are based on distance from a node) and monthly costs at present are around £150 to £300 per month on a 3 year contract - new pricing will change this but overall over 3 years it may not be much different.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Tue 30-Jan-18 18:46:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

edit: replied to wrong post sorry

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 30-Jan-18 18:47:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Tue 30-Jan-18 18:46:39
Print Post

[re: CoupeRacing] [link to this post]

It's very easy to check if you can pay to receive FTTP from OpenReach.
Visit https://www.btwholesale.com/adslchecker/
enter your phone number or full address and see if FTTP On Demand shows up in the featured products.

If it does you can call 1 of the few ISP's who sell this and get quote.
The whole pricing structure changes on 1st February so you may need to wait till after this for the ISP's to update their pricing.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 30-Jan-18 18:47:37)

Print Thread

Jump to