General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Feb-18 13:17:02
Print Post

infill fttp - what should i be looking for on roadworks.org?

[link to this post]

Hi,

My cab was updated to fttc, back in 2014 under the hants bduk wave 1 scheme. Unfortunately despite that i predicted that i will get between 14 to 18mbits the paper dp records was 21-24mbits .. The result was around 16.7mbits.. 1.4km from the cab!

Parts of our village (and my bit as well) is under wave 2 for further upgrades. I emailed the hants project team and asked about time frames and the change of wording on the site because it became obfuscated in nature.

Between the conversation, they spoke to the or team which claimed that my postcode will get fttp upgrades(slightly shocked and happy).. Theres been one roadwork update where they put a square manhole http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51298000/jpg/_...

When it was being installed i did ask the OR guys what type of fibre will be installed, they suggested fttc and the cab will be "down the road". I spoke to more recently and said the fibre will be via the poles, if that happens (which would be correct)

the hants team did in December release a tweet that suggest more of wave 2 would get fttp.

What do i now look for on the roadworks.org site and will it even show up upon there?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Feb-18 15:30:37
Print Post

Re: infill fttp - what should i be looking for on roadworks.

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Well for FTTC they wouldn't really need to upgrade the chamber to a more newer square version.

For FTTP if its using the old version where the FibreDP is located in the chamber then yeah, it will need to be upgraded.

But saying that, it doesn't mean you will get FTTP, we had one or two chambers down the lower end of my road upgraded to the newer square version a couple of years back.

They even attached the FibreDP to the inner walls of the chambers, so you would think they would get FTTP, sadly BT like wasting money due to they downgraded everyone on our phone cabinet apart from lines on our phone pole to FTTC, even though all the FTTP hardware is in place.

So I would say FTTP, but might end up getting FTTC.

As for what to look for on Roadworks, probably nothing unless they need to dig up something, you also cannot check the BT Openreach Where and When page due to there is no in between stages like there is for FTTC, so its like in scope for ages and then its bamn Accepting Orders.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 01-Feb-18 15:35:21)

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Feb-18 16:58:50
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

its a new chamber tongue adjacent an existing smaller one (small dig to existing one) there is no fibre up here. nearest i believe is to the fttc cab 1.4km away..

also

yeah the OR when and where page doesn't have a between existing fttc to fttp status. I would have thought any work on the new man hole box and any overhead fibre would have had spline cabling works attached to it .. as any work would impact the lanes

Edited by Taras (Thu 01-Feb-18 17:17:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Feb-18 18:24:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Taras:
its a new chamber tongue adjacent an existing smaller one (small dig to existing one) there is no fibre up here. nearest i believe is to the fttc cab 1.4km away..

also

yeah the OR when and where page doesn't have a between existing fttc to fttp status. I would have thought any work on the new man hole box and any overhead fibre would have had spline cabling works attached to it .. as any work would impact the lanes

Like I said I don't think the would build a new chamber next to an old one for just copper lines, the only thing that needs the lager chamber is Fibre whether it be FTTP or FTTn etc) and them installing that in most cases won't require it to be on roadworks unless they need permission to close off a pavemrnt, do more digging etc.

Like when they did all the FTTP work back in 2011 / 2012 I don't recall any roadworks info, and I definatly didn't see any roadworks stuff refering to when they pulled up all the damaged fibre cables and replaced them new cables June 2015.

They use blue cord to pull the fibres through their underground network, the over head stuff I am not sure about, the only over head fibres we have here is the ones from the chambers FibreDP, up the phone pole to the CSP Box on my home.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Feb-18 21:07:42
Print Post

In my experience, some will be shown on roadworks and some won't. I think the chambers and laying fibre in the road were on roadworks but the overhead and pole work was not (could be wrong, have a terrible memory).So it's worth checking roadworks but don't worry if nothing is on there.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Feb-18 10:49:49
Print Post

update. some houses are showing fttp on the openreach db

HI,

I was checking the adjoining road on the openreach when and where, database, and about 3 properties seem to be getting fttp and the rest aren't My postcode isn't..

So is this a case of data missmatch on the openreach database.

I'm happy to pass on more details via email or pm, as its a small hamlet it really is like putting out where you live..

I know i'm being impatient, but after suffering 5 hours of trying to upload 1.5gb at around 70kbits you can understand probably why i'm being so
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 26-Feb-18 10:57:33
Print Post

Re: update. some houses are showing fttp on the openreach db

Too early to say. Data could be updated gradually over time
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Feb-18 11:21:16
Print Post

Re: update. some houses are showing fttp on the openreach db

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

heh, yup or that ..

I have been told that my postcode is due for fttp, but they working out which properties will get the fttp (personally i wouldn't want to be the house that doesn't)..
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Feb-18 11:27:12
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

even laying the fibre on the poles will block the roads.. The two chambers have been done (one wasn't done on roadworks) so you are quite right..
Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Feb-18 11:52:46
Print Post

Yes, it should be on roadworks...however, I remember one time Openreach/contractors turned up and did a load of work and nothing had been listed. Pretty sure it was work on the poles. Anyway, my point was not to worry if there's nothing on roadworks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to