General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User atechie
(newbie) Thu 01-Feb-18 23:10:24
Print Post

Fibre coiled up outside my house-ok to run it where i want?

[link to this post]

I've been waiting on my FTTP for a while now, Openreach were here today and ran the cable from the DP to outside my house and have left a fair chunk of it coiled up for the engineer to come and install.

I'm not sure i fancy the big box in my living room and was thinking about getting the install done upstairs (confident I can get the cable up a conduit thats there for an unused TV aerial).

Question is - would the engineer be [censored] off / annoyed if i ran the cable in to the house and upstairs myself or should i just pull a rope for now?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Feb-18 23:28:54
Print Post

Re: Fibre coiled up outside my house-ok to run it where i wa

[re: atechie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by atechie:
I've been waiting on my FTTP for a while now, Openreach were here today and ran the cable from the DP to outside my house and have left a fair chunk of it coiled up for the engineer to come and install.

If its the black cable with the yellow stripe its most likley just tubing and nothing more, this is assuming its the old type of FTTP where the DP is located in the chamber and a black bottle at the top of the pole.
I assume you are referring to the very small fibres coiled up in the small box on your wall ?

And no, you are not allowed to touch that.

I'm not sure i fancy the big box in my living room and was thinking about getting the install done upstairs (confident I can get the cable up a conduit thats there for an unused TV aerial).

You might be lucky, but in most cases they will install it close to the Master Socket and a Power Socket.

Question is - would the engineer be [censored] off / annoyed if i ran the cable in to the house and upstairs myself or should i just pull a rope for now?

Like I said above you are not allowed to touch the Fibre cables, but there is nothing stopping you putting in a pull rope from downstairs to upstairs.

You should of asked your ISP like I did when you made the order if it was possible, TBH I moved my Master Socket to our front room where the copper currently comes into my home and where the fibre would enter my home.

So I moved my Master Socket to the left side of the bay window and asked for the fibre to come in the right side of the bay window due to there was no place on the left side to fix the ONT, BBU and PSU on the wall.

The BT Engineers arrived and asked what colour CSP Box I wanted, so I told them what colour, I also asked for it to be installed the right side of the bay and they were happy to do it.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
  Print Thread

Jump to