General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonjenkins
(newbie) Sat 03-Feb-18 13:33:19
Print Post

FTTP on Demand

[link to this post]

We currently get about 11MB on VDSL, but ideally would like something quicker for TV/films, and some business use. Last year, fibre cables were strung up along our rural road, and FTTPoD is showing as "available" for our exchange, which is Cwrtnewydd.

I emailed 2 or 3 companies just to try and get a ballpark idea of the costs, but the only one who has replied with a figure so far has mentioned over £7,000. This seems rather a lot, considering the fibre cable is on a pole in our front garden!

I would like to get an idea of roughly what people think this should really cost us to get a 300MB connection installed.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.
Standard User Bill100
(learned) Sat 03-Feb-18 15:28:10
Print Post

Re: FTTP on Demand

[re: jonjenkins] [link to this post]

It sounds to me as if they are rolling out native FTTP to your area, so you really need to wait for them to complete the work. This could take several months/years mind you... perhaps you can investigate if there is some FTTP programme underway, like a community partnership or something?

FTTPoD showing as available doesn't have much to do with the fact that fibre has been strung up near you.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 03-Feb-18 15:30:59
Print Post

Fibre on your poles sounds like they are installing FTTP.
FTTPod is completely different. You will be quoted to build a line from the nearest fibre aggregation node, right up to your property.

What does the OpenReach Where and When page say for your property?
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

It should give you an indication if they are indeed installing FTTP to your home.
Alternatively you could contact your local BDUK project and enquire about your address.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 03-Feb-18 15:31:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jonjenkins
(newbie) Sat 03-Feb-18 15:34:12
Print Post

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bill100:
It sounds to me as if they are rolling out native FTTP to your area, so you really need to wait for them to complete the work. This could take several months/years mind you... perhaps you can investigate if there is some FTTP programme underway, like a community partnership or something?

FTTPoD showing as available doesn't have much to do with the fact that fibre has been strung up near you.

Ok thanks for the info.
Standard User jonjenkins
(newbie) Sat 03-Feb-18 15:39:55
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
What does the OpenReach Where and When page say for your property?
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

That search says "Fibre enabled", Cabinet 1, and FTTC.

The fibre cables have been being installed in fits and starts since about March 2017, and it's a frustrating business looking at these cables outside our house and not being able to connect to them!
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Sat 03-Feb-18 15:46:40
Print Post

There is plenty of fibre in the overhead cables round here as well (Haverfordwest) and this fibre is feeding the Cabinets for FTTC

If you already have FTTC you are unlikely to be served with FTTP as well....most properties along these cable routes in this area are NOT able to order FTTP....some are still on sub 2 Mbps ADSL let alone FTTC.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 03-Feb-18 16:07:58
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

If you already have FTTC you are unlikely to be served with FTTP as well....
FTTC at 11Mb, and with fibre recently installed on his Telegraph pole, it sounds very likely to me.

There's a lot of FTTP being used to upgrade lines getting below superfast targets.
Standard User jonjenkins
(newbie) Sat 03-Feb-18 16:59:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
If you already have FTTC you are unlikely to be served with FTTP as well....
FTTC at 11Mb, and with fibre recently installed on his Telegraph pole, it sounds very likely to me.

There's a lot of FTTP being used to upgrade lines getting below superfast targets.

We had the VDSL "fibre" connection well before the real fibre cables appeared in our road.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sat 03-Feb-18 18:14:42
Print Post

Agreed, best to wait until the WBC FTTP appears as available on the DSL checker, no point going for FTTPoD. In my case, FTTPoD is the only "upgrade" I can receive right now. We don't need the extra bandwidth, but now the installation fee has been dropped by Openreach, hopefully prices will come down...

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 03-Feb-18 18:15:14)

Standard User jonjenkins
(newbie) Sat 03-Feb-18 18:23:34
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
Agreed, best to wait until the WBC FTTP appears as available on the DSL checker, no point going for FTTPoD. In my case, FTTPoD is the only "upgrade" I can receive right now. We don't need the extra bandwidth, but now the installation fee has been dropped by Openreach, hopefully prices will come down...

Yes, I guess we'll have to be patient William,

Cheers,

Jon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to