General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sidef
(newbie) Sat 03-Feb-18 17:40:14
Print Post

Can an All in One cabinet support more than 128 ports?

[link to this post]

My village has an AIO cabinet, with around 200 properties on the PCP connection side. The OR checker is now showing a waiting list for FTTC services.

I know AIOs have 128 FTTC ports - I assume 4x32 ports cards. Can they be upgraded to 4x48 or 4x64 port cards, or is the only way to add additional capacity, to add a second, 128 port FTTC only cabinet?
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 03-Feb-18 18:31:41
Print Post

Re: Can an All in One cabinet support more than 128 ports?

[re: sidef] [link to this post]

I've never seen an AIO cab being expanded in anyway. Having seen inside a number of the AIO cabs it is very tight inside on the DSLAM side.
I've never seen an AIO with a 2nd cabinet either.
Absolutely no idea what would need done in such a scenario.

The cabinet having a waiting list doesn't necessarily mean it's at full capacity. They may only have a couple line cards full with more line cards needing installed.
If it has been full/waiting list for a long time it may indeed be full.

If you can give the cab number and exchange there are members who can check the actual capacity.
Standard User sidef
(newbie) Sat 03-Feb-18 19:39:05
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Previous line cards had been fitted pretty quickly. It has been waiting for several months now. Cabinet is Winterslow 5.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sat 03-Feb-18 19:45:10
Print Post

As of 30th Nov 2017, there are no plans to extend the cabinet (install a new cabinet alongside), so if it's full, you'll have to wait until the extension date (if it does get extended) appears here: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1...

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 03-Feb-18 19:52:56)

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 03-Feb-18 21:54:46
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Quite likely require a re-arrangement of the network again , taking lines off PCP 5 onto another new All in one cabinet, so would likely appear as a new PCP. Plans may already be in place.
(experienced) Sat 03-Feb-18 22:17:35
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Ah, I see! That would make sense considering itís an AIO. Thanks for confirming.

William Grimsley.
Standard User sidef
(newbie) Sun 04-Feb-18 09:42:53
Print Post

That would make sense, as the village is linear and over a mile long, those at the "top" of the village are achieving speeds of less than 20Mbps and the slowest are at 15Mbps. A 2nd cabinet would solve that issue. Ironically part of the village is not on PCP 5, being fed from a cabinet in another village 2 miles away. BDUK has just delivered a FTTP solution for those properties.

This is part of the trouble of the phased approach, each stage being done in isolation rather than an integrated solution. The FTTP infill may not have been needed if we had 2 cabinets located in slightly different locations rather than trying to make 1 cabinet "stretch" for the entire village. The cabling is such that would have been possible.
(experienced) Sun 04-Feb-18 09:45:27
Print Post

I highly doubt the 2nd cabinet would be placed far enough away from the other cabinet to increase an area's speeds.

William Grimsley.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sun 04-Feb-18 10:06:35
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

It would make sense to do so.
(experienced) Sun 04-Feb-18 10:52:36
Print Post

Yes, but probably not economically viable, think about the cost of moving the cables further away from the original cabinet than normal... Would love to be proved wrong, though. smile

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sun 04-Feb-18 10:55:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to