General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wcavanagh
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 14:17:32
Print Post

Yet another EO Line Question - Sorry

[link to this post]

Hi Lovely People,

I have 2 ADSL lines at my house, just on the edge of a village fully Fibre enabled. Unfortunately both my lines are Pending - EO Line according to the checker. Been like this 2 years now. I have no other services in the area, and that bit of copper is 6000m long. The crazy thing is it goes right past a new housing estate 300m down the road that are all Fibre enabled also.

What options do I have? I am loosing the plot here with 3Mb connection. Can I pay for FTTP, as I saw Openreach have dropped the cost of the install. But would not know where to start with getting a quote.

postcode is DD2 5PD

Desperate for ideas here.

Cheers
Will

-----
Regards,
Will Cavanagh

Sky MAX 12Mb Nice.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Mon 05-Feb-18 14:55:15
Print Post

Re: Yet another EO Line Question - Sorry

[re: wcavanagh] [link to this post]

Hi Will,

Can you post the result of your phone number (if with BT) or your address (if not with BT) from here: http://dslchecker.bt.com

Please remember to remove the phone number/address from the result, but leave the cabinet and exchange showing.

William Grimsley.
Standard User wcavanagh
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 15:02:20
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Telephone Number 0138278****** on Exchange MUIRHEAD
ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1.5 to 3 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 0.75 to 3.5 Available -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --
Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U
VRI --
NTEFaceplate --
Last Test Date --

Many Thanks,

-----
Regards,
Will Cavanagh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Feb-18 15:13:19
Print Post

Nothing obvious, but who knows what 2018 will bring...

There is the R100 project but that's a end of 2021 for completion. The bulk of the EO lines in Muirhead near exchange are showing as work in progress, but your distance means that won't help you.

FoD - only available to those connected to a VDSL2 cabinet currently.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wcavanagh
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 15:17:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cheers,

Sad times, new Cabs are popping up all over Muirhead. Joys of a long EO line. Openreach engineers have suggested dig your own fibre and speak to the farmer who owns the land (who I do know).

Even considered a P2P Wireless link to the house over the road on the edge of Piperdam, spoke to them, and the old couple thought I was trying to rip them off, haha.

-----
Regards,
Will Cavanagh
Standard User AdamInTheSticks
(learned) Mon 05-Feb-18 20:17:32
Print Post

Hi Will,

Do you know if you can get a 4G signal where you are? (With either EE, Vodafone, O2 or Three, or one of their resellers).

EDIT: Just had a look on the EE coverage checker (EE Signal Checker) with your Post Code, you should get good 4G coverage in your area.

If so, you may be able to use a Data SIM in a dedicated 4G router (for example, the TP-Link Archer MR200).

I use this system, and it provides me with 10-20Mbps downstream (occasionally more) and 1-10Mbps upstream (occasionally more). I have a 32Gb per month EE Data SIM (look for special offers, got mine for £14.50 per month on a rolling 30-day contract [SIM-only deal]).
I do "Load Balance" the 4G link with my 2Mbps ADSL link, that way the 4G provides a "turbo boost" when needed, but if the data runs out I still have my slow ADSL with unlimited data.

I'm hoping for a local FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) connection soon, or maybe even FTTC/FTTP further down the line: but the 4G link provides a useful speed boost (plus backup link for ADSL) in the meantime.

Maybe worth a thought anyway...

Kind regards,

Adam.
Standard User wcavanagh
(committed) Tue 06-Feb-18 09:36:19
Print Post

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

The 4G is poo here only about 2Mb already tested that option unfortunately.

-----
Regards,
Will Cavanagh
Standard User AdamInTheSticks
(learned) Tue 06-Feb-18 17:56:20
Print Post

Sorry to hear that.

Just out of interest - did you try it with EE? (As their coverage checker shows good coverage for your post code, including double-speed 4GEE).

Also - one thing to remember, is that the antennae in dedicated 4G routers, like the TP-Link Archer MR200 I linked to before (which is the one I have), are generally much better & more sensitive than those inside smartphones, and can usually pick up a better signal.

We didn't get any 4G signal at all here (until a couple months ago), although I knew there was 4G in the general area - so I "took a risk" and ordered the MR200, and found that it picked up a good signal in 1 upstairs window. I was able to "bring" the link downstairs & to the rest of the house using some PowerLine Adapters (with built-in WiFi).

Also, you can connect outdoor 4G antennae to most 4G routers (including the MR200) - for example: Poynting XPOL-A0001 External 4G Antenna - and that can really boost the signal.

Some useful links here:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/features/3698-5-reas...
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/features/3594-wifi-t...
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/features/3591-5-bene...
https://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-intro.htm

So - don't completely rule 4G out - even if you only currently get 2Mbps on your phone, maybe try a different network, plus a 4G router + antenna could make a real difference. Maybe worth exploring anyway...

Also - are there any WISPs (Wireless ISPs) providing FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) in your area? That's another good option if available, often better than 4G (but not as good as FTTC/FTTP - unless with FTTC you are a long way from your cabinet, in which case FWA can be better than FTTC).

Good Luck anyway! smile

All the best,

Adam.
Standard User andy88
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Feb-18 20:43:26
Print Post

Is that outside or inside.

remembering that it is a radio signal coming from outside... on a mast
puting the Mifi/4G router on a top floor in a window or even in a loft space, would get a good 4G signal and then the wifi would illuminate the home downwards..

If you use it / bury it in a traditional ground floor central inside location the 4G will struggle to reach it.

4G in general works very well on a very weak signal, so if you get a few Mbit now, it should not take much to get it into the 10-20+ Mb/s
Standard User Serephina
(newbie) Tue 06-Mar-18 05:25:20
Print Post

Hi Will,
Totally sympathise. We moved to Piperdam last year (also on Muirhead exchange) and until this week were still showing as Pending-EO line and ‘In Scope’ but now show as being on a fibre enabled cabinet with the note ‘Your cabinet is enabled for fibre, but you are too far from the cabinet to get an increased connection speed‘ so are still stuck with a maximum of 3Mb connection (which is often much less) which is painful having had superfast broadband for years in the South East of England. Not sure what will happen next as we were hoped that being ‘in scope’ would mean we’d get a cabinet eventually, not that they’d change us to a cabinet that we’re too far from to get the benefit.

We don’t have a 4G signal at all here, in fact we have no mobile signal at all inside (which is problematic for receiving online banking texts)

Really hope the connectivity improves around here soon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to