General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Mon 05-Feb-18 15:32:39
Print Post

Remote DLM Resets Live?

[link to this post]

Hey everyone!

I've read on another broadband forum (don't know if I can name it, please let me know if I can), that someone who had a banded line has had the banding removed remotely by one of their ISP's staff, not an engineer...

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Mon 05-Feb-18 15:34:46)

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Feb-18 15:44:53
Print Post

Re: Remote DLM Resets Live?

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/abilit...

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 15:49:18
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Not until later this month, 19th at the earliest from Openreach but could vary for each ISP depending on their internal process I guess.

It's a massive step in the right direction though!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Mon 05-Feb-18 15:54:41
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

WOW, this is fantastic news! No more worrying about if I'll get charged if my line becomes banded! laugh

William Grimsley.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:09:36
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

As for the person with it supposedly being removed, do you trust everything you read on the Internet?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:14:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No, but in this instance yes, because the person has provided evidence with line stats to prove that it was completed. In fact, he's posted a comment on that article...

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Mon 05-Feb-18 16:14:30)

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:22:47
Print Post

He's referring to adslmax posting on Kitz.
His stats are live on MyDSLWebStats so definitely true.
OpenReach have been trialling this for at least a few weeks with a couple ISP's. Anoush from Plusnet sent max's line as part of this trial and it has indeed reset his dlm profile and removed his banding.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:29:14
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Where on MyDSLWebStats does it prove that the changes are due to a DLM reset, rather than the DLM system itself deciding to make the changes based on its existing algorithms?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:37:23
Print Post

I've never seen DLM randomly remove banding and G.INP and revert to the default Huawei profile (INP=3) that comes with a DLM reset.
It also came with a msg from the ISP confirming the case had been forwarded to Openreach for a reset.

The INP/interleaving took the line below the banding level, so there was no way to tell if the banding was removed until G.INP was reapplied. The banding is indeed removed.

I get being sceptical about things strangers claim online. This is clearly a DLM reset performed as part of this trial though.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:41:09
Print Post

MDWS won't show necessarily when someone's line has had a DLM reset or not but the recent pattern of events feel like it's a reasonable assessment that a DLM reset was performed. There's no way I know of to say for sure as to whether the line was just automatically managed by DLM or did indeed have a DLM reset.

However, if I'm not mistaken a DLM reset on a Huawei DSLAM typically defaults to making the downstream interleaved (INP 3, delay 8ms) first and then some time following that it changes the downstream to G.INP. The person's statistics show this pattern on MDWS. So I feel it's fair to say this looks genuine.

Edited by Ixel (Mon 05-Feb-18 16:41:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to