General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Peterdevon
(newbie) Wed 07-Feb-18 10:54:23
Print Post

SNR graph

[link to this post]

Hello all,
My vdsl had been rock solid 80/20 until before Christmas but I new connection close to me seems to have lowered my max attainable speed. The graph on mydslwebstats shows lots of downward spikes, I have looked at other peoples stats and none look like mine, does anyone know what it means?
Peter
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Feb-18 12:49:14
Print Post

Re: SNR graph

[re: Peterdevon] [link to this post]

Do you keep turning the computer off that is running DSLStats? Or closing DSLStats? That would explain the lack of continuity in your SNRM graph.

Re the Max Attainable, which seems basically unchanged since you appear to have set up MDWS a few days ago, the new connection close to you could well have caused that, although we can't see what it used to be of course. It is caused by cross-talk between the two lines. It can happen at any point between the cabinet and you, and even be caused by connections far further on if their line between them and the cabinet is close to yours near the cabinet end.

Many people have seen theirs fall dramatically over time, and those not on full sync like yours have seen their actual sync fall as well. Sometimes by over 10Mbps. Were you one of the first on your cabinet?

Given what your Attainable is now, a re-sync would almost certainly cause a lower actual as well.

See mine: HappyBunny.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 07-Feb-18 12:49:50)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 07-Feb-18 13:38:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Many people have seen theirs fall dramatically over time, and those not on full sync like yours have seen their actual sync fall as well. Sometimes by over 10Mbps. Were you one of the first on your cabinet?

And can be way worse! One line I have visibility of can have achievable of just over 82 Mbps and sync at Max. However, when one particular neighbour, thee or four doors away, (around 100m) turns their modem on, the achievable and sync drop to around 64 or 65 Mbps. Other neighbours have very, very little effect - just one is horrendous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Thu 08-Feb-18 12:40:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Blimey, thank god I have vectoring on my line eh!

William Grimsley.
Standard User Peterdevon
(newbie) Thu 08-Feb-18 13:13:22
Print Post

I think I was first on the cabinet but was using the supplied ECI modem that never synced more than about 54mbs.
I have the program on a laptop at the moment, I must change it to a computer that is on 24/7.

Edited by Peterdevon (Thu 08-Feb-18 13:17:38)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Feb-18 13:35:40
Print Post

[re: Peterdevon] [link to this post]

Yes, the ECI and HG612 modems are way behind later ones on FTTC sync. They were good stable beasts initially but technology has moved on.

So has Openreach DLM of course. I reckon those two modems are low by 3-4 Mbps, with the rest of your increase coming from DLM changes. Maybe some from improved wiring at home as well?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 08-Feb-18 14:35:47
Print Post

Some current one are behind as well having replaced my Billion 8800NL with a 8800NL R2. The R2 is synced some 5 Mbps lower on both downstream and upstream compared to the V1. It could be down to the cheaper Broadcom chipset the R2 uses not playing well with ECI street kit but I'm waiting to see what Billion have to say.

I'll probably hang onto it for when I get my line for work in a few month time which hopefully will be on the new Huawei cabinet that is just waiting to be commissioned.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 08-Feb-18 16:23:07
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
It could be down to the cheaper Broadcom chipset the R2 uses not playing well with ECI street kit but I'm waiting to see what Billion have to say.

It's exactly that. The R1 has the excellent (best on my line by far) BCM63168 chipset.
The R2 has Broadcoms budget chipset, the BCM63381.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Feb-18 17:28:22
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Heck frown.

I was so pleased with my R2. Now I shall have to look around!

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 08-Feb-18 20:31:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Heck frown.

I was so pleased with my R2. Now I shall have to look around!
They are decent modems. I like Billion devices.
They just cheaped out on the BCM chipset on the R2.

A modem with a BCM63168 will likely sync a little higher.
A few Mb more was worth the cost for me as I was only getting 36Mb at the time. Is a few Mb more worth it to you?

My BCM63168 modem of choice is the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A as it has an additional noise filter fitted to it. I only recommend this to anyone using it on bridge mode though as it has IPV6 issues of used as a router. They pop up on EBay between £30-40 quite a lot.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to