General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Mon 12-Feb-18 15:18:28
Print Post

See GFast cabinet, get GFast soon?

[link to this post]

I saw what looks like - to my untrained eyes - one of those infamous GFast extensions being attached to a cabinet which I think is on the WESTERN exchange. It may have been Cabinet 65, I'll go look if you really want.

So, GFast very soon, soon or sometime for the nearby area?

[BTW the cabinet and another next to it are grey so I assumed Virgin's. The new extension is OR green and they're only a few meters from a fibre cabinet.]
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Mon 12-Feb-18 15:46:34
Print Post

Re: See GFast cabinet, get GFast soon?

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In Glasgow lots of Openreach cabinets seem to get painted grey, this includes VDSL cabinets too, so that does not mean very much.

As for a G.Fast pod being added and able to order a service. There are loads and loads of them added to cabinets on the Bridgeton exchange in Glasgow many for more than six months and I don't think a single one is live. At least the BT Wholesale checker is not showing anything. They recently reskinned one that is marked 106 that I didn't realize was a Openreach cabinet because it was grey. I assume this is to allow it to take a G.Fast pod in the near future. It must be one of the very last cabinets on Bridgeton to be missing a G.Fast pod. Would be interesting to know what is holding BT back on these. Seems a massive waste of money to fit G.Fast pods and then leave them idle for many months.
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Mon 12-Feb-18 16:01:39
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Bridgeton was part of the trial, wasn't it? So you'd expect to see lots of cabinet extensions and it not to be 'available' to the general punters. I guess 'someone' was inviting people to join the pilot... But yes, odd that they don't now make it available if the pilot is over.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Feb-18 17:34:10
Print Post

There are upgrades BT Wholesale is doing to its backhaul, so Openreach can be live and BT Wholesale not.

But yes lots of g.fast pods out there waiting on something from backhaul, to the cross link to the fibre or power, i.e. the physical put it in place is the quick bit.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Feb-18 17:39:37
Print Post

Well I am in an area overlapped by different Exchanges, but I saw the other day coming back from a hospital appointment a G.FAST Pod on a PCP Cabinet, sadly its not on my Exchange or our cabinet, which would of been nice for the other people down my road.

So I can say G.FAST is being rolled out in East London.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Mon 12-Feb-18 21:37:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Bridgeton was part of the trial, wasn't it? So you'd expect to see lots of cabinet extensions and it not to be 'available' to the general punters. I guess 'someone' was inviting people to join the pilot... But yes, odd that they don't now make it available if the pilot is over.

Bath was also part of trial, G Fast pods went in months ago here, & still nothing,have only found 1 G Fast pod, apparantly live.
Couldn't even get on the pilot.
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 13-Feb-18 11:04:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
But yes lots of g.fast pods out there waiting on something from backhaul, to the cross link to the fibre or power, i.e. the physical put it in place is the quick bit.

I "saw" two G.Fast pods go in on the Bridgeton exchange. The first was the very first cabinet I saw go in (46 to be precise), done in a day and as I was walking past just gone 5pm the engineer was just finishing off, it was powered up and connected by the looks of it. Even have some photos of the inside. The second was cabinet 43, the one that got a PCP expansion about a month before the G.Fast pod was attached. On the day the G.Fast pod was added they pulled cable (mains and fibre) from the fibre twin through to the cabinet, because I watched them doing it. Happened very early on in the install of the G.Fast pod because they where doing it first thing in the morning.

From what I have seen a G.Fast pod takes one full day to fit to a cabinet, and that includes connecting the power and fibre backhaul. That said the cabinet may well need reskinning and/or a PCP expansion pod adding first from what I have observed.

Anyway I repeat dozens of G.Fast pod's have been added to the Bridgeton exchange and I can't find a single one that is active on the BT Wholesale checker. Some of these G.Fast pods went in last summer, so there is a fantastical waste of money going on by BT; aka they have millions of pounds of assets that are not earning any money, all the while they are depreciating in value.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 13-Feb-18 16:47:34
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Maybe if Openreach wasnít doing itís own thing and could liase properly with BT Wholesale then we wouldnít be in this situation. But it canít, has to act like an independent company.

Icaras
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Tue 13-Feb-18 18:14:45
Print Post

I first saw a G.fast pod attached to my cabinet (LCROC 19) on 17th October and still nothing showing up on the DSL checker.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Feb-18 20:56:30
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IanBB:
I first saw a G.fast pod attached to my cabinet (LCROC 19) on 17th October and still nothing showing up on the DSL checker.

How far are you from your cabinet, you might be too far to be offered G.FAST.

But they might just be installing them in areas of the exchange and once all have been installed they will enable it.

But I might be wrong.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to