General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Feb-18 11:24:06
Print Post

Hyperoptic trialling 10Gbps FTTH

[link to this post]

Link.
Broadband speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second (Gbps) have been tested in a home in the former Olympic village in east London.

Broadband operator Hyperoptic conducted the test, claiming it is the first time such speeds have been brought to a UK home using an existing ISP network rather than a dedicated line.
"It wasn't long ago that people asked if 100Mbps connections are necessary. However, as we've seen with the advent of 4K media services, gaming and a dramatic proliferation of multiple connected devices in the home, it has fast become the minimum many consumers demand."
Ms Tobak also took a swipe at BT which has been slow to adopt full-fibre technology - also known as Fibre to the Home.

"While other players are just considering how they can upgrade their infrastructure to enable gigabit speeds ...."
I can see this sort of speed and consumption making the developing discussion in this thread of who should pay for the amount downloaded become more widespread.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Feb-18 12:10:16
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic trialling 10Gbps FTTH

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7948-hyperoptic-...

As always the questions on what is in the press release.

So yes if you are a home of 6 people and all want to watch your own UHD content a connection in the 300 to 500 Mbps region would be comfortable. Clearly not something you can do across VDSL2.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Feb-18 13:02:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
"While other players are just considering how they can upgrade their infrastructure to enable gigabit speeds ...."
I can see this sort of speed and consumption making the developing discussion in this thread of who should pay for the amount downloaded become more widespread.

Have to love the PR fluff.

In places where gigabit is far more available there haven't been any real worries over who is paying the bandwidth bill - the end users in almost every case, apart from where poor regulation or lack of competition allow ISPs to double-dip.

As long as UK operators continue to carry on with settlement free peering and offloading of content onto CDNs they are hosting on-net it should be alright. The biggest cost is getting traffic from the core network to customers rather than the peering and transit.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZo1RxtpD5s - Sky make extensive use of CDNs on-net, other large operators do likewise. In the US some operators, in an attempt to defend their own TV revenues mostly, are actively hostile to such things.

Usage does not increase alongside maximum bandwidth particularly, the major increase is in burst capacity required to ensure customers can reach their full speeds at all times. Selling 10Gb would require a building to have enough capacity to handle peak usage + 10Gb. The actual peering and transit wouldn't see a massive jump. There will be enough customers sharing there that usage spikes are smoothed out by statistical contention.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 13-Feb-18 13:06:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Feb-18 14:04:31
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I posted this on the TBB news article comments
Quote from HyperOptic in BBC article:
"It wasn't long ago that people asked if 100Mbps connections are necessary. ... it has fast become the minimum many consumers demand"
I am dubious as to this. I wonder how many "many" actually is. I am guessing a low percentage. I wonder how many consumers on a gigabit capable link pay significantly more to get these speeds? Would be interesting to see HyperOptics customer stats for those on 30Mb, 150Mb and gigabit.
Where there is a premium for the faster services most households will probably not pay extra - TBB readers are the exception in part because the group is somewhat self selecting. My brother has BT FTTP and despite having it for about 3 years has never moved off Infinity 1 and he can't see any reason why he would want to pay more - he does PC gaming so does pretty big downloads but he will wait for them rather than upgrade.

On the other hand if I had the option available I would go Infinity 4. However, I wouldn't pay the rates for FTTPoD so even for me there is a limit to what I am willing to pay for faster speeds (and I get a "paltry" 50/14 so am half the speed that HyperOptic think "many" customers demand as a minimum.
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Wed 14-Feb-18 12:53:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

To be fair, i'm struggling to fill my Infinity 2 pipe. The thought of moving up to something like Ultrafast 1 is more a case of "because I can and it's there" than an actual need, and that's 'only' 152Mbps. I'm not really sure what i'd do with 10Gbps.
  Print Thread

Jump to