General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zzing123
(newbie) Fri 16-Feb-18 15:08:22
Print Post

New vs old FTTPoD TCO

[link to this post]

After reading about the price changes and reading various others' build logs, I'm again curious by FTTPoD and have pinged a quote request to Cerberus about it just now.

In my case, I'm connected to Shepherd's Bush (LWSHE), but in all my sofa-based distance estimations, using the old Band pricing and the new £50 per premises passed discount, the discount exceeds the band price, even when only counting MDUs passed as 1 property and only counting 1 side of the road:
- <100m (Band A/£200) away and passes at least 9 properties (£450) is my cabinet
- ~350m (Band B/£600) away and passes at least 31 properties (£1550), is where I suspect the Aggregation Node is
- ~750m (Band E/£1800) away and passing at least 54 properties (£2700) is the Exchange

Now according to Mr Saffron's comment that OR don't believe the TCO changes all that much, it will have to mean that build costs are increased. The question is how much.

So if anyone has had any quotes since the price change, would you mind sharing them so we can compare both old and new build costs? I'll do the same once I hear back of course!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Feb-18 17:29:12
Print Post

Please Read

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

The following needs to be highlighted...

FTTP on Demand pricing for installation is outside of the control of ISPís. Each speculative submission made slows down the response time for ISPís, so please think twice about whether you are serious about going ahead with an order.

My intent has been to meet with Openreach to fully understand the £50 discount, so that people can do their own ball park estimates without having to use of time of the small number of small providers who offer Fibre On Demand. This has not happened yet, simply because so much is going on that I cannot afford the time out to meet somewhere with a white board to run through a variety of expected scenarios.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zzing123
(newbie) Fri 16-Feb-18 18:36:16
Print Post

Re: Please Read

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If FTTPoD is reasonable, I will plump for it immediately. Equally if it was the old, old pricing now, where I have the opportunity to install FTTPoD, I would do so immediately.

I've just submitted for planning permission to get a significant amount of work on my new house, which will be completed in 6-8 months, and need to know costs, as it depends whether I get a new shed versus FTTPoD, as obviously first class internet access is a lot more important to me than a shed (and I can do that later).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 16-Feb-18 19:17:46
Print Post

Re: New vs old FTTPoD TCO

In reply to a post by zzing123:
Now according to Mr Saffron's comment that OR don't believe the TCO changes all that much, it will have to mean that build costs are increased. The question is how much.

New build costs are basically ECCs. It depends on what infrastructure is in place at the moment and what needs to be built.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 17-Feb-18 01:50:07
Print Post

I just replied to your post in another thread. I was thinking to myself "Surely he doesn't think it covers every single property passed by fibre between you and the aggregation node. Clearly from your maths above this is your assumption.

You need to read note 5.
"and an amount per premise we determine to have been enabled (to use FTTP) by the relevant build work"

At best it will be properties that would be served by your new Fibre DP.
This would be my guess, as these are the only properties that have everything in place once the FTTPod order is complete.

At worst it's £50 per property on the order, which for most orders will be a single property. I don't believe this will be the case. AIUI if my neighbour orders the new FTTPod and we share a DP, once his order goes live my address would show WBC-FTTP as available.

That would match up with note 5.
"and an amount per premise we determine to have been enabled (to use FTTP) by the relevant build work"

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 17-Feb-18 01:52:30)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Feb-18 07:50:43
Print Post

Re: Please Read

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Each speculative submission made slows down the response time for ISPís, ....

This a rod they've made for their own back, previous banded initial quotes were instant - the new system apparently requires human input/calculations. They designed the new system, the buck stops with them if it performs poorly under load. Customers I'm sure would love not to bother Openreach for estimates - but if you're interested you have no choice but to request one.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Feb-18 09:28:39
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD pricing

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

How do you conclude that ISPs designed the Openreach pricing system?

It is also the case that the old system required a survey to determine the actual charge by Openreach. The banding method merely gave some idea of the magnitude.

The new system merely removes the high three-year recovery costs and frontloads them onto the initial installation. Which to me makes sense.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Webbs
(newbie) Sat 17-Feb-18 10:04:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
frontloads them onto the initial installation.

Source?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Feb-18 10:32:31
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Completely agree ... my guess is that if the manifold/CBT provided to complete FTTPoD order can serve 12 properties (usual manifold) thatís where the Ďproperties passedí bit comes from.

Donít forget, the current smallest CBT is a four port..... £150 off. (maybe)*

* all conjecture on my part. nothing to do with what I may, or may not do for a living.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Feb-18 10:39:17
Print Post

[re: Webbs] [link to this post]

That's the whole point. Been discussed in forums and news items on several sites for months before the detail was announced this month.

I posted it just in case anyone wasn't aware of this. As it appears you weren't.

(Since the revamp of the Main Site here I can't find how to do a Search for relevant articles, though have a vague memory of succeeding once).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to