General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Sun 15-Apr-18 12:17:14
Print Post

Re: Tapping into fibre on a telegraph pole

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

This post started off as a little bit of interest on my part around the fibre installation on Bakestonedale SK10 5RZ. Somebody suggested contacting "Connecting Cheshire" which I did and this response came back:

Thank you for your enquiry, since publishing our proposed coverage for Phases 2 and 3 in January 2017; BT Openreach have now regrettably informed us that as part of their initial deployment work, significant unforeseen challenges have arisen and the proposed upgrade to this area served by the Bollington Exchange has now breached our cost-cap criteria.

In such cases we are bound by government value for money guidelines to de-scope such areas from our plans. This is unfortunately a common challenge in rural areas, with complex fibre routes remote from telephone exchanges with low numbers of premises to spread the cost over. However we will place this structure ‘under review’ so that subject to further funding, or if alternative lower cost deployment options emerge, we may be able to re-introduce it into our plans.

We appreciate this is highly disappointing for you and very frustrating. We have tried our best to keep these cost caps to an absolute minimum, but by informing you now you may wish to consider exploring other options to improve your speed. These include the government’s Better Broadband Scheme for premises currently receiving 2Mbps or under, whereby a subsidy towards and alternative satellite or wireless service is available, or to consider a community funded scheme to delivery a bespoke solution to your locality. BT offer a Community Fibre Partnerships Scheme, or other rural broadband providers are active in offering this option also, such as Vispa and ITS – both of whom are listed as approved suppliers under the Better Broadband scheme.

Still rather confusing as we still don't know what work they were planning but have now canceled due to cost.

But at least my client can stop waiting and push ahead with a 4G solution.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to