General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robnicholson
(newbie) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:05:01
Print Post

What is native GEA-FTTP?

[link to this post]

Found this incredibly useful page:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides/fibre-fttc-ftt...

But partway through it starts mentioning "GEA-FTTP" and "Native GEA-FTTP" without really explaining what they mean.

What do these two phrases mean? I know what FTTP is but what does GEA bring to the table and native?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:15:05
Print Post

Re: What is native GEA-FTTP?

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

Openreach ‘native FTTP’ is as found in these new build estates where it’s purpose built fibre, no copper at all ... there’s an ONT sat waiting for you to order service via when you move in.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:19:35
Print Post

BT SIN 498 describes GEA-FTTC, BT SIN 506 describes GEA-FTTP. Shortened in everyday use to FTTC and FTTP.

The "native" is just to distinguish between the FTTP that is supplied in some cabinet areas at the same prices that reign in FTTC areas, as opposed to FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD) which is the high installation option in FTTC areas to provide FTTP.

Edit: See my later post re "native FTTP".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 18-Feb-18 14:49:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:20:59
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Oops! Have I got that wrong then? In the reply I just gave?

Edit: In the article the OP linked to I see Andrew is using it the way I thought.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 18-Feb-18 14:25:49)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:26:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Dunno Bob, my understanding of it is as I said .... native FTTP is where it ‘exists’ already.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:29:23
Print Post

Re: What is native GEA-FTTP? *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User robnicholson
(newbie) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:31:34
Print Post

Thanks that makes sense on the "native" bit - the example of the new estate is a good one. Might as well install fibre instead of copper.

But GEA - generic Ethernet? Isn't all Ethernet generic smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:47:27
Print Post

Thinking about it a few minutes ago, Zarjaz's version makes more sense, with the "native" meaning copper supply is not available. But in the article it is used the way I described, as is clear in the BT Wholesale Estimate screenshot headings.

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sun 18-Feb-18 16:07:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by robnicholson:
But GEA - generic Ethernet?
GEA -- Generic Ethernet Access.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Feb-18 17:49:11
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I use native GEA-FTTP to mean those who can order GEA-FTTP services i.e. says WBC FTTP available.

i.e. is NOT the Fibre on Demand version

I don't make any distinction between FTTP locations with copper and those without, currently - but might change in the future, I might also be a millionaire in the future

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to