General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robnicholson
(newbie) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:38:56
Print Post

What is the name of service BT offer with FTTPoD?

[link to this post]

Apologies for all these simple FAQ questions on a Sunday. Trying to find how you actually order FTTPoD from BT and what internet package you get with them? The BT sales rep that we saw last week seems to be only offering 30Mbps/30Mbps leased line uncontended service. I'm sure there must be other services that don't cost £6k a year for just a 30Mbps downstream link. I think my client would be much better off with a 300Mbps/30Mbps contended service like this from Fluidone:

https://www.fluidone.com/data/plus-business-fttpod/
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Feb-18 14:52:35
Print Post

Re: What is the name of service BT offer with FTTPoD?

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

Note that the Openreach guaranteed throughput on the high end FTTP/FTTPoD products is much lower than the headline speed. I forget the figure but PaulKirby I think knows it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sun 18-Feb-18 15:16:26
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

BT don't sell FTTPod.
OpenReach sell it.
ISP's can but it from OpenReach.
You buy it from the ISP's.
The ISP BT Retail does not sell it.
BT Business is soon introducing FTTPod under the label "Infinity Build to Order".

Currently only FluidOne and Cerberus sell FTTPod but they are waiting till Feb 23rd for updated pricing from BTWholesale.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Feb-18 15:30:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well I don't know for FTTPod, but FTTP (300/30) Infinity 4, when we had speed issues (i.e. our 300Mbits dropped down to 45Mbits) BT told me on the phone before it becomes an issue (i.e. listed as a fault) when it drops below 40Mbits (downstream) and that the minimal guaranteed downstream speed was around 40Mbits which I think is stupid for the 300Mbits package, as for the up there was no guaranteed speed.

I can see with the new 300/50 that the guaranteed speed has increased to 100Mbits, but good luck in getting that form BT, BTW DSL Checker says I can get 330/50 yet BT says I cannot.

What you need to also take into account is that the fibre going into the splitter can handle about (2.5Gbits down / 1.2Gbits up) now that fibre is split 32 ways meaning if everyone on that split fibre had Infinity 4 (300/30) and everyone hammers their connections up and down, your speed to the Exchange would be 78.125Mbit down and 37.5Mbit up.

So the amount of users and what package along with how many connections the ISP cram together would both affect what speeds you get hence the 40Mbit guaranteed speed.

I assume that BT will upgrade their infrastructure with the 300/50 due to like I said the minimal guaranteed speed is 100Mbits and that's not possible with the 2.5Gbits / 32.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Feb-18 16:13:26
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks Paul.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Blmcg
(newbie) Sun 18-Feb-18 23:08:34
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Currently only FluidOne and Cerberus sell FTTPod but they are waiting till Feb 23rd for updated pricing from BTWholesale.

We (Syscomm) can also supply this, principally to businesses.

In the interest of not to be seen as just trying to advertise, the Openreach website maintains a list of suppliers!:
https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

Blair McGregor
Network Architect - Syscomm
Standard User Blmcg
(newbie) Sun 18-Feb-18 23:27:23
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The table on the bottom of page 3 in SIN 506 has the prioritised rates.

Unless you're purchasing the service on an unconnected basis from an ISP however, you shouldn't expect the higher prioritised rates to apply to residential or business connections on a "volume" basis, this is only a guarantee from Openreach to the CP in the handover exchange.

The CP/ISP will likely contend at multiple levels above this (Cablelinks/Backhaul/Interconnects for wholesale ISPs/transit), particularly when you start talking about speeds beyond 100Mb.

In the case of FTTPoD the PON is typically newly built solely for the customer(s) in question, so until other connections come on board there's effectively no contention as far as the last mile(s) is concerned (read: ONT to OLT). This being said, other user's hopping on afterwards will be far more likely now that FTTPoD will enable adjacent properties as native brownfield.

Blair McGregor
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Feb-18 23:40:55
Print Post

[re: Blmcg] [link to this post]

AIUI FTTPoD always did result in nearby properties being set to "FTTP Available", rather than FTTPoD.

Standard User Blmcg
(newbie) Sun 18-Feb-18 23:47:50
Print Post

It depends, there's definitely builds where this was not the case in the past, I've seen this as recently as last month, even though the surveyor factored in optimal split/CBT placement.
Policy as of Feb 1st is an "always" now, instead of a sometimes!

Blair McGregor
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 19-Feb-18 01:06:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
AIUI FTTPoD always did result in nearby properties being set to "FTTP Available", rather than FTTPoD.
That's new with the recent changes I believe.
Certainly with baby_frogmella and Snake, who both used different ISP's, none of their neighbours showed WBC-FTTP available. It only shows for their own properties.

Effectively the changes mean you're now paying to give some neighbours free FTTP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to