General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User robnicholson
(newbie) Tue 20-Feb-18 17:47:57
Print Post

Is this a FTTC?

[link to this post]

Almost as much fun as geocaching finding where rural cabinets are. Is the cabinet on the left an FTTC?

https://goo.gl/maps/yybxtZ3AzMA2

It's about 1km away from the postcode given on codelook but given this is a rural area, the postcodes will cover a wide area.

I cycled up to it but couldnt' find any markings or labels except 12 on what I assume is the old POTS cabinet?

Finding this was mainly a "for interest" except another of my clients connected to this cabinet has seen their fibre speed drop from 12Mbps to about 1.5Mbps with a lot of noise on the phone - and we've swapped the phone & filter. Although they are only 900m from the cabinet, the wire goes all around the houses esp. if it sticks to the road.

They have two lines into the business and the other one has always been faster at ~20Mbps. Very frustrating. I'm hoping they find some kind of cabling fault. BT have done a line check and said it's fine. Hmm...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Feb-18 17:57:44
Print Post

Re: Is this a FTTC?

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

Yes small VDSL2 cabinet for lines served by cabinet 12

If a line has noise on it when you've unplugged all your broadband kit and tested at the phone socket, then report that to the firm you pay the voice line rental to.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User robnicholson
(newbie) Tue 20-Feb-18 18:17:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks - it's BT and I've suggested my client reports it again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Tue 20-Feb-18 18:25:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by robnicholson:
. . I've suggested my client reports it again.
Ensure that when it is re-reported your client makes no reference to the broadband service. An (audibly) noisy telephony circuit should be reported and nothing else.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Feb-18 18:37:04
Print Post

Incidentally it's a Huawei.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to