General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pjmarsh
(learned) Wed 21-Feb-18 12:23:00
Print Post

Possible FTTP installation

[link to this post]

Yesterday there was a guy from Openreach at the chamber just outside my house, so I had a little chat with him about what he was up to. He said they were putting the drawstrings in ready to pull fibre through for FTTP and that I'd be able to order it in a month or 2. He also commented on the difficulty they were having at the 2 mini roundabouts and that it was 1.2km long.

There is a new estate just starting to be built around 1.8km from the exchange, which I'm guessing that is where the FTTP is going to be for.

We already have FTTC (Cabinet 8 on LCBUS exchange). What are the chances that FTTP will become available to us (as he said), or is it just likely to serve the new estate?

Edit: Typo corrected - 18km change to 1.8km

Edited by pjmarsh (Wed 21-Feb-18 13:28:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Feb-18 13:03:18
Print Post

Re: Possible FTTP installation

[re: pjmarsh] [link to this post]

Not sure what the bit about a new estate 18km from the exchange is about, since that distance goes as far as Wigan

The new commercial roll-outs mean some areas will see their FTTC overlaid by FTTP, but to date that is rare, the FTTP is usually for areas with no superfast option i.e. only ADSL2+ or slow VDSL2.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pjmarsh
(learned) Wed 21-Feb-18 13:27:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, that was a typo. 1.8km, which is following the roads where Openreach have been working (A5209 and A59). I live on the A5209 and the fibre they are pulling is right past my house. I just wasn't sure if FTTP would come to the properties that are passed on the way to the new estate (as the Openreach guy said) or not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 21-Feb-18 13:33:22
Print Post

My suggestion..
Speak to the developers..
Ask them if you will get the FTTP and if not.. raise a complaint with them (and if you have neighbours get them to do the same). You may get luck as I know some have on parts of new estates where I live.

Regards PGre
Standard User pjmarsh
(learned) Wed 21-Feb-18 13:37:40
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

I'm not too bothered if the new estate get FTTP or not. It is only my guess that is why they are pulling the cable through. I'm just interested really if I'll likely be able to get FTTP from the fibre that is passing right outside my house. The engineer said we would, but I've heard of them being massively wrong before!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Feb-18 13:48:40
Print Post

Existing premises passed by new build that is getting FTTP invariably DO NOT get access to FTTP.

So I'd rate you chances as under 2%

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 21-Feb-18 13:50:22
Print Post

Ah.. I'd made the assumption you were part of the new build estate but an older part.

I suspect you may be unlucky then and be left with FTTC if you have that.
Hope for your sake thats not the case though.

Regards PGre
Standard User pjmarsh
(learned) Wed 21-Feb-18 14:01:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No problem. I thought that would be the case, but thought I'd ask around as it isn't what the Operreach guy said.
Standard User pjmarsh
(learned) Wed 21-Feb-18 14:03:44
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

No problem. I thought that might be the case. FTTC is doing ok for us at the moment (only 100m) from cabinet, but would go for FTTP if it was available.
Standard User AL66
(regular) Wed 21-Feb-18 14:23:02
Print Post

The presence of FTTP infrastructure passing you might or might not make an FTTP on demand order cheaper - seems to be more questions than answers WRT FTTPoD costs at the moment.

It might also mean, in future, if Openreach are looking at new areas to offer native FTTP yours could be classed as a ‘quick win’ as part of the necessary work will have already been done.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to