General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mot
(committed) Wed 21-Feb-18 17:37:34
Print Post

Overhead fibre added to poles today

[link to this post]

Hopefully a quick one...

Got home from work today and noticed fibre had been run around our village. The Mrs spotted a team in a van mounted cherry picker installed it. She questioned them over what it was and was told fibre to the premises.
We already have FTTC albeit at 1300m to the green cabinet. Would they likely be deploying FTTP when we are already passed by FTTC?
Next question is, who would I order such a product one the install is complete?

New fibre and plaque
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Feb-18 17:41:14
Print Post

Re: Overhead fibre added to poles today

[re: Mot] [link to this post]

If your FTTC speeds are below 30 Mbps then its possible a BDUK project phase is bringing FTTP to bring the area upto superfast speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User robnicholson
(learned) Wed 21-Feb-18 22:07:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And at 1.3km, the speed could very well be below 30Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mot
(committed) Thu 22-Feb-18 08:49:42
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

We have only lived here for a week and had a new line installed 3 days after moving in. Currently on a 6db SNR synced at around 24.5Mbps down and 5.5Mbps up. I don't think that's horrendous for a village consisting of 25 houses without it's own FTTC cab.
300/30 would be most welcome though!
Standard User robnicholson
(learned) Thu 22-Feb-18 10:17:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mot:
300/30 would be most welcome though!

I feel a real cad when I sit her talking about internet speed and I've personally got 220Mbps/10Mbps with Virgin. They need to work on that upstream a bit maybe.
Standard User FTTP2
(newbie) Thu 22-Feb-18 12:01:36
Print Post

We have been in the process to get FTTP in the last year with the Fibre Community project of Openreach. They just completed the installation of the fibre in our street last week.

In our case they also pull all the overhead fibre over the poles, without the embled “caution overhead fibre”. Then there will be these ‘bundles’ of fibre cable rolled up over every few poles (depending where there will be a distribution point). This distribution point is connecting 2 or more fibre cables into a splitter like this:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network...

If you see this, that does not mean yet that you will have FTTP. This might just be continuing the fibre to the ‘next’ destination.

You will need to see this on your pole nearby, the so-called CBT:

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/20...

This is basically a connector for a fibre cable, this means that they can ‘connect’ a fibre and pull this all the way to your home/premise. If this is installed, I can ‘garantee’ you will have access to FTTP soon(ish?).

Good luck!

P.s. while looking for pictures on the net (too lazy to make a picture outside) I found the blog post about this on thinkbroadband. It explains abit, but not all. http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/09/g-fast-and-fo...
  Print Thread

Jump to