General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WannabeMKII
(experienced) Thu 22-Feb-18 13:01:42
Print Post

Any G.fast / Ultrafast users here?

[link to this post]

G.fast is available where and live and the figures look good;

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 71.7 20 19 64.6 Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 66.8 20 19 55 Available -- --
G.fast Range A (Clean) 330 330 50 35.2 305.7 Available -- --
G.fast Range B (Impacted) 279.6 209.5 40.9 21.1 196.8 Available -- --

Download Speed:
313Mb-314Mb

Estimated download speed range*
Minimum Speed:
306Mb

I currently have 76Mb FTTC, but wondered what G.fast was like reliability wise? I work from home a lot and use VoIP, so need a stable connection. FTTC has been fine and I don't really 'need' G.fast, but as it's available and an option, why not...?

All and any feedback welcome.
Standard User tomse43
(regular) Thu 22-Feb-18 13:48:22
Print Post

Re: Any G.fast / Ultrafast users here?

[re: WannabeMKII] [link to this post]

Don't believe it's any less reliable than VDSL, probably be more stable if anything.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Feb-18 14:24:21
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

VDSL has a slower resync, up to 2 minutes where as G.fast is meant to be just a few seconds, so even if connection is unstable its less annoying.

We see a variety of speeds, some really good and some that look like they are using Wi-Fi, so until we go from 1000-2000 live users to 100,000 difficult to say much.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NGDragon
(newbie) Thu 22-Feb-18 14:41:36
Print Post

Placed order this lunchtime....engineer booked for 16th March (earliest where work commitments allowed) so will hopefully be able to provide some info to people.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 67.8 20 19 59.1 Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 63.4 20 18.6 49 Available -- --
G.fast Range A (Clean) 330 308.3 50 28.5 265.5 Available -- --
G.fast Range B (Impacted) 278.6 211.8 38.5 19.6 194.1 Available -- --

Checker gives a similar output to yours and I'm around 200m (cable length) from the cabinet. High Wycombe exchange.

Don't need it but thought why not give it a go...with cash back offer of £175 it is not much more than current 80/20 package (the price of 1 pint of beer per month!!).

(experienced) Thu 22-Feb-18 14:56:09
Print Post

[re: NGDragon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NGDragon:
Don't need it but thought why not give it a go...with cash back offer of £175 it is not much more than current 80/20 package (the price of 1 pint of beer per month!!).

Jealous! I wish I could get cash back, but I'm in contract for another 12 months.

It's going to cost me another £17.50 per month though.

Decisions decisions...
(experienced) Thu 22-Feb-18 14:58:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mine rarely drops, but nice to know it reconnects quicker.

Another question though - I use a Draytek router at the moment on VDSL. This obviously doesn't support G.fast, so guess it'll be one of their modems again like the early days of VDSL?

Assume I can use the WAN output of this modem to pass the routing through to the Draytek and not use a BTHomeHub?
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Feb-18 15:04:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by WannabeMKII:
Another question though - I use a Draytek router at the moment on VDSL. This obviously doesn't support G.fast, so guess it'll be one of their modems again like the early days of VDSL?

It's identical to VDSL in the early days. You get the modem and then use PPPoE from a router to start your session.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Thu 22-Feb-18 15:05:42
Print Post

If you mean Openreach supplying their own modem, then yes, pretty sure they do just like they did for VDSL2/FTTC at the beginning. Should work no differently.

OP just out of curiosity what city are you in, and how far are you from the cabinet roughly? I imagine that you must live fairly close to the cabinet to get such a high estimated speed.

EDIT: Someone else beat me to it!

Edited by Ixel (Thu 22-Feb-18 15:05:58)

(experienced) Thu 22-Feb-18 15:08:24
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks for confirming. I've still got the screws in the wall from the original one, so hopefully, it'll pop straight on those... smile
Standard User NGDragon
(newbie) Thu 22-Feb-18 15:10:37
Print Post

Yep engineer supplied modem, and separate ISP router (HH supplied by BT) - like you I'll use my existing setup (Ubiquiti USG) and just put in the new credentials for the PPPOE. Chat with BT confirmed this today.

The only sad thing is that I'll be moving away from Idnet...been with them since April 2011 when the cabinet went live with 40/10. They have confirmed that they have no current plans to offer G.fast which is a shame frown but I'm sure that will change as it gets rolled out nationwide so can always move back in the future if required.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to