General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dawebuser
(member) Thu 22-Feb-18 21:41:52
Print Post

Fibre link

[link to this post]

Help needed

I've been having horrendous problems with slow downloads and high pings between 6.30 pm - 10.30 pm which improves to full speed at all other times.

I've contacted Vodafone numerous times who have told me it's a Fibre link problem and it's showing as Amber , I have told them I wish to leave penalty free as speeds under 10Mbps during the evening just aren't good enough.

They reckon it's an Openreach problem and whoever I switch to on the Openreach network I will suffer the same problem.

This smells like bull to me but thought I'd ask the more knowledgeable on here.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 22-Feb-18 22:21:07
Print Post

Re: Fibre link

[re: dawebuser] [link to this post]

Vodafone run their own backhaul. I don't think they operate in areas where they don't have their own link.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 22-Feb-18 22:28:25
Print Post

If the backhaul is showing as amber then they need to add more capacity at the handover exchange which may or may not require raising a job with Openreach depending on the setup.

But what they’re saying is wrong. If you were to switch to Sky or a BT Wholesale based ISP then you wouldn’t be facing these issues.

Icaras

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Feb-18 22:36:19
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Or TalkTalk Retail (yuk) or a TalkTalk Business reseller (good).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Blmcg
(newbie) Fri 23-Feb-18 21:12:03
Print Post

Are you on 40, 55 or 80 DS product?

Openreach minimum throughput rates for these are 15/20/30 (from the DSLAM to the L2Switch in the handover exchange).

If you're falling below this (remember other things on your network may be using the connection too) then it's more likely either congestion on their link to the L2Switch, backhaul congestion, or another fault somewhere else.

I'm assuming no weirdness with your Sync in all this (i.e. interference between those hours causes your line to re-sync at a poor rate).

Blair McGregor
Network Architect - Syscomm
Standard User dawebuser
(member) Fri 23-Feb-18 22:26:12
Print Post

[re: Blmcg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Blmcg:
Are you on 40, 55 or 80 DS product?

Openreach minimum throughput rates for these are 15/20/30 (from the DSLAM to the L2Switch in the handover exchange).

If you're falling below this (remember other things on your network may be using the connection too) then it's more likely either congestion on their link to the L2Switch, backhaul congestion, or another fault somewhere else.

I'm assuming no weirdness with your Sync in all this (i.e. interference between those hours causes your line to re-sync at a poor rate).

I'm on the 80/20 and get full sync as we are extremely close to cab.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Feb-18 00:51:39
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Vodafone run their own backhaul. I don't think they operate in areas where they don't have their own link.

It depends what you mean by that.

On many exchanges, they use Openreach services, specifically EAD (ethernet access direct) to get from A to B and on many exchanges, these links are 1Gb and congested.

That could very well be the problem for the OP, as it is has been in the past and very much likely will continue into the future.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User dawebuser
(member) Sat 24-Feb-18 11:19:47
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
In reply to a post by j0hn83:

It depends what you mean by that.

On many exchanges, they use Openreach services, specifically EAD (ethernet access direct) to get from A to B and on many exchanges, these links are 1Gb and congested.

That could very well be the problem for the OP, as it is has been in the past and very much likely will continue into the future.

Matt

But the question is would that still cause me the same problem if I switched to a different ISP using my BT phone line as Vodafone suggested to me ?
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Feb-18 01:34:59
Print Post

If the congestion is in Vodafone's network, no.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Feb-18 10:38:52
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

And based on recent experience of others this moving elsewhere looks a safe bet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to