General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nitro93
(learned) Sat 24-Feb-18 17:28:20
Print Post

HG612 Questions

[link to this post]

Hey all,

Newbie question more than likely!
Has anyone seen a difference in sync speed at all between the HomeHub or similar and the HG612? Looking to just use the modem and run the rest of the network through a switch and some Ubiquiti AP's when I move to my new house in a couple of months as it's so much bigger than where I am now - it'll be going to a Huawei cab, just wondering about whether it works perfectly fine with no loss of sync/attainable speeds?

If it does result in loss, can anyone recommend a good quality but reasonably affordable FTTC modem?

Cheers!

Edited by Nitro93 (Sat 24-Feb-18 17:29:07)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Feb-18 17:32:06
Print Post

Re: HG612 Questions

[re: Nitro93] [link to this post]

They are quite ‘old fashioned’ and I think that there’s plenty of newer kit that gains a better sync rate.

Standard User Nitro93
(learned) Sat 24-Feb-18 17:37:47
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
They are quite ‘old fashioned’ and I think that there’s plenty of newer kit that gains a better sync rate.

Thought that might be the case, do you know of any relatively affordable newer alternatives at all?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Feb-18 18:09:47
Print Post

‘fraid not, I expect someone will suggest something shortly.

I use a Hub 6 myself ... and have a very short line to the cab < 200m, works a treat for me.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Feb-18 18:39:02
Print Post

You can't just use a modem. You have to use a router either connected to the phone line if it does VDSL2 or connected to a separate modem if it has a wan ethernet port.

I use a 2nd hand Zyxel VMG8924-B10A bought of ebay for less that £25. Some effort as needed to delete some Zen details.

Michael Chare
Standard User jdigz7
(regular) Sun 25-Feb-18 07:51:44
Print Post

I use DM200 Netgear works fine for me.
Standard User smouty
(member) Wed 28-Feb-18 14:38:54
Print Post

I've been looking at the Huawei HG658 which is used in Ireland by Vodafone so you can find them pretty easily.
They have the newer modem chipset (BCM63138) that supports g.fast and can be unlocked like the HG612.

Edited by smouty (Wed 28-Feb-18 14:42:04)

Standard User candlerb
(newbie) Wed 28-Feb-18 15:57:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nitro93:
can anyone recommend a good quality but reasonably affordable FTTC modem?

You asked specifically for a modem: I use the Draytek Vigor 130, which is not especially cheap at about £80 but works extremely well. It has all the features: vectoring, G.INP, baby jumbo frames.

But being a modem, you will need a router or firewall which does PPPoE as well. Using it with just a switch won't work, unless the "switch" is actually a router. Draytek do make combined VDSL routers, but I've not tried them.

I use a Mikrotik hEX PoE as the router. It includes a 5-port switch, two of which are PoE, powering two Unifi AP AC Lites at opposite ends of the house. Then I hang a Netgear switch off that for more wired ports.

HTH... Brian.
Standard User craski
(committed) Wed 28-Feb-18 18:23:43
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
You can't just use a modem. You have to use a router either connected to the phone line if it does VDSL2 or connected to a separate modem if it has a wan ethernet port.

You could use just a modem with a PC or Mac negotiating the PPPoE connection if all that is required is a single ethernet connection.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User candlerb
(newbie) Wed 28-Feb-18 19:27:59
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

True, although few people would want to dedicate an FTTC line to a single device.

You could also run a PC-based router/firewall such as pfSense.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to