General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadbandFlash
(newbie) Mon 26-Feb-18 17:58:28
Print Post

Do these telegraph poles indicate FTTPis likely?

[link to this post]

All the broadband checkers say a property we are buying Wales has FTTP. I find it hard to believe as no one else in the area has it, nor seems to be able to order it, yet it is quite important to my work for it to be correct.

I've done all I can with BT, getting to the point of ordering for example to kick off a survey (didn't finalise order as we don't own the property and they wanted to install within 2 days), but with little success in determining either way (I guess that means it looks good).

In an effort to try to ascertain if the cables look like they are as epxected, I took some photos of the poles leading up to the house. I wonder if anyone could comment on how they splice(?) into the fibre cable to connect to the property?

The nearest splitter box (as pictured) is around 35 meters away (some way before the pole which has telephone cable feeding the property) and to my completely uneducated eye, looks as if it may be terminated there? Would they run it from there, or cut into fibre cable where current phone line is?

Here are the speed checkers (the telephone number has since been disconnected during the owners move, so unable to run tests on a telephone number any more):
BT DSL checker:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gVL4cnDObCQYHmqzzn...
BT Products:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qv5fGdrptV0ecuo7on...

Telegraph pole nearest property where telephone line (copper?) connects to house:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PpNE7fJkgzsX-qH8-c...

Nearest sign of FTTP, on telegraph pole 35* meters from property, towards exchange (which is some 3 miles away). There are no more of these boxes beyond this one, moving away from exchange. Is it terminated here? Would they run it from here to house?:
* - actually looks more than 35 metres in picture (house in background) - may be further away
Splitter box:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tmhsxHD16sCb_uo2cr...
Top of Pole:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_rvZIss5zUfSaxVs0V...

Around 80 metres away, just a couple of poles (in exchange direction), from pole pictured above:
Extra Joint box:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lNP7Rg7tf2V3AnEvFb...
Top of pole:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1trymM2F5Nfg0i07OSm...

Edited by broadbandFlash (Mon 26-Feb-18 18:09:43)

Standard User AL66
(regular) Mon 26-Feb-18 18:09:05
Print Post

Re: Do these telegraph poles indicate FTTPis likely?

[re: broadbandFlash] [link to this post]

What does this say for the address (use the ‘Address Check’ at the bottom of the page, put the postcode in the next page and then choose the individual property from the drop down list)?:

The second of your photos shows an (unused) manifold - your new connection would be run from there.
(newbie) Mon 26-Feb-18 18:18:11
Print Post

[re: AL66] [link to this post]

Hi AL66,

Here is the DSL checker run from address (didn't realise you could do that):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-J6mUbWWQrNZbHPVCY...

That second pic you mention looks odd to me as a thick cable with a yellow line on it goes into it, then goes back up the pole to what looks like some sort of terminator? (the next picture is the top of that pole)

Seems odd to have two of those green boxes which you refer to as a manifold only 2 telegraph poles away from each other. There are only 3-4 hours within 1/2 mile radius, and none have fttp.

Guess I'm concerned that they ran out of distance before they got to the property, as there are no manfold boxes beyond these.

Do they turn up with a cherry picker and run it all the way to the house from there? Why wouldn't they place it nearer the house in the first place?

Edited by broadbandFlash (Mon 26-Feb-18 18:20:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Feb-18 18:24:24
Print Post

Manifold is the black plastic bottle at the top of the pole, if there was a live customer you would see a smaller tube exiting the top of the bottle (wander around town as suspect you'll find some live ones given the amount of FTTP in town)

Green box is a fibre splitter with fibre trays in it
Black cable with yellow stripe is fibre tubing that the actual fibre gets blown down.

The manifold box can be some distance from you, what you want is a manifold (block bottle thing) at top of pole.

If the checker says yes for the address then yes suggests that are reality happy to run it that distance, but without engineering staff on the ground to answer the question cannot say for sure, i.e. you need to order to find out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Feb-18 18:28:00
Print Post

The pictured green ‘box thing’ is a fibre DP node. The pole top jobbie is a blown fibre manifold.

They will run BFT from the manifold to a CBT on your exterior wall. The fibre lead in will be run to the ONT from there,

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Feb-18 18:31:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nope, that’s a DP node, the ID starting DA.... shows this.

The splitter is more likely in a footway box elsewhere ... or maybe in a similar green housing but marking starts TS ....

(newbie) Mon 26-Feb-18 18:33:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks guys.

Didn't see any footway boxes, in fact these are the only boxes for some considerable distance (travelling towards exchange)

So whats the max distance from that manifold thingy at top of pole to house?

Any suggestions on how I could know for sure that FTTP is ok?

Owners have moved on, but we don't own it yet. I was trying to trigger a survey by starting then cancelling an order, but the representative said they wanted to do stage 1 install within 2 days, so sounded as though they wanted to do survey and stage 1 together, and therefore there was no point in ordering then cancelling, exepcially as I'd probably not stop them in time!

I should add that the representative I think mentioned "brown field" when I asked about whether the phone would be VOIP - they said it wouldn't be, it would be a copper line for that. (not sure what all that means, nor why the phone couldn't be VOIP with that sort of bandwidth?)

Edited by broadbandFlash (Mon 26-Feb-18 18:42:17)

Standard User AL66
(regular) Mon 26-Feb-18 18:38:10
Print Post

If the DSL checker result I pointed you to show the same results as you got previously for the old phone number (they should do) you can be confident you’ll be able to order in due course. Could take a while from order to working service though.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Feb-18 18:41:57
Print Post

The distance can be very long indeed.

Choose a provider and order ....

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Feb-18 19:53:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Doh - will try to remember the TS/DA notation

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to