General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sat 03-Mar-18 17:34:47
Print Post

Cabinet accepting orders... BUT!!!!

[link to this post]

Have had a Huawei All In One PCP and Fibre DSLAM cab built 8 months ago, and it has has been powered up, with fibre run into it, and the phone lines run through it too. However, when I do a check to see if I can order fibre off it, the openreach website states:

Engineering work
Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre, but you may not be able to order a service because our engineers are carrying out some maintenance on the cabinet that connects your home.

We're aiming to complete this work as soon as possible, so please check back for an update.

This has said that for 3 months now, and a FTTC Cab trained engineer that commissioned it said its ready to go and live! Whats happening now then? No one has been inside the cab for 3 months now too....

PCP7 on Twycross Exchange for info.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 03-Mar-18 17:38:25
Print Post

Re: Cabinet accepting orders... BUT!!!!

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

If it's an infill cabinet involving moving existing FTTC services from another cabinet, then the that is likely to be the delay as those have to be transferred before any new connections can be made.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Sat 03-Mar-18 20:39:52
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

And that is all delayed by the rules that require every ISP with a customer on the cabinet to be notified and for them to assent to the move. This has defined timescales which are presumably set down in the OR Ts&Cs with the ISPs. It took about 5 months from the physical completion of our AIO cabinet to us going live on it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sat 03-Mar-18 22:31:34
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Yes, it is a infill cabinet, but no lines running through it have fttc enabled, just adsl, as all the lines running through it are too far from the cabinet that feeds it to get vdsl from that 3 miles away!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Mar-18 23:45:24
Print Post

Perhaps some properties that are getting slow FTTC from the original cabinet are the ones witchunt is suggesting might be involved. They would need to be transferred before you can order.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Wed 07-Mar-18 16:49:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well it seems all above isnt true, its literally just the fibre/adsl checker databases that havent been updated that CP's use to check if Fibre is available or not according to BDUK/Superfastleicestershire. So its Openreach's problem. So no idea of and when i will be able to order, as Openreach is not contactable by the public to jog this along!
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Wed 07-Mar-18 19:10:08
Print Post

Possibly have not been updated for the reason stated

Edited by witchunt (Wed 07-Mar-18 19:10:49)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Mar-18 19:35:06
Print Post

I think you are missing the point about what an infill cabinet can be used for.

You are thinking of it being only for people who are too far away from the existing FTTC cabinet. Witchunt and I are talking about some a bit closer to that existing cabinet who can and do get FTTC from it, but very slow. Not sufficient to satisfy the new requirement for people to be able to get 10Mbps.

Openreach steps (in broad terms):-

1) Install, cable up and commission the infill cabinet.
2) Transfer lines like yours that cannot get FTTC to it, from the existing one. No change to your broadband.
3) Notify all ISPs with slow FTTC customers on the existing cabinet that those customers are to be transferred, as they will suffer downtime while the phone lines are transferred and the FTTC (VDSL2) at the infill added to it onto the D-sides for those customers. The date has to be agreed with the ISPs so they can tell these customers in advance.
4) Await the go-ahead from those ISPs.
5) Do the transfers.
6) Make FTTC available to those like you who already have their phone line on the infill cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Wed 07-Mar-18 22:11:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My infill cabinet does not have 1 single vdsl signal running through the 100 E side cable supplying it from the other fttc cab 2.5 miles away, and when it is made live to order, it will not speed up a single line that already has vdsl on it as the nearest place that does have vdsl before this cabinet is 1.5 miles away.

Every single All In One PCP i have worked in is fed from another pcp. So the routing on them and this one will be for example,

MDF Bar Pair A/100 to PCP1 E100-D100 to PCP2 (Infill) E100-D200 DSLAM E200 to copper D100 to DP100.

Edited by 8skellerns (Wed 07-Mar-18 22:20:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Mar-18 00:19:34
Print Post

What are you on about? (And I speak as a non-telecomms engineer):-
In reply to a post by 8skellerns:
My infill cabinet does not have 1 single vdsl signal running through the 100 E side cable supplying it from the other fttc cab 2.5 miles away
I assume the cable you refer to runs from the existing PCP to the infill one. That will be carrying the PSTN signal. There is certainly no cable ever going to be carrying VDSL2 (not VDSL by the way) to the infill cabinet from anywhere never mind from the FTTC cabinet. That would be pointless.
..., and when it is made live to order, it will not speed up a single line that already has vdsl on it as the nearest place that does have vdsl before this cabinet is 1.5 miles away.
So you believe. I find it hard to accept that's true, as nothing else you say in this post makes sense, but it is possible.
Every single All In One PCP i have worked in is fed from another pcp. So the routing on them and this one will be for example,

MDF Bar Pair A/100 to PCP1 E100-D100 to PCP2 (Infill) E100-D200 DSLAM E200 to copper D100 to DP100.
Quite. Though the detail is above my knowledge. (You have worked inside infill cabinets? That is interesting, and makes your ignorance very odd). I believe you describe there the PSTN link, as I suggested above, from the existing PCP to the infill. Whereas you said it comes from the existing FTTC cabinet. I assure you nothing at all comes from the existing FTTC cabinet to the infill one.

The infill cabinet will be receiving a direct fiber-optic cable from an aggregation point, and fibre-optic cables do not carry VDSL2.

This may or may not be the same aggregation point as the existing FTTC cabinet is fed from. The infill cabinet DSLAM takes in that fiber-optic feed and outputs VDSL2, which it merges with the PSTN signal and forwards to the D-side. And vice versa for the return path.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 08-Mar-18 00:21:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to