General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonkenator
(newbie) Sun 04-Mar-18 10:50:33
Print Post

Where can I get my cabinet number?

[link to this post]

Hi All. I've been patiently waiting to get Fibre broadband for who knows how many years now, ever since my exchange (Sandal) went live. I'm not sure if my neighbours have it, but the OpenReach checker website suggests they can get it if I put in their phone numbers. For my phone number however it returns no Cabinet number, just "Pending - EO Line".

I've gone through several months of conversations with BT and got nowhere. Is it normal that I can't find out my cabinet number? Is there a chance this could be a database error somewhere, or am I doomed to stay on ADSL while all around me can get fibre?

Cheers.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-18 10:58:41
Print Post

Re: Where can I get my cabinet number?

[re: jonkenator] [link to this post]

If you are on an EO line, your line will not go through a cabinet, so no cab number associated with your directory number.

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sun 04-Mar-18 10:59:24
Print Post

May not have been assigned a cabinet number yet if there are multiple rearrangements pending

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 04-Mar-18 12:10:09
Print Post

Two possibilities.

If your estate is less than 50 years or so old, is it possible your premises were the Show House? It is common for show houses to have a direct line to the exchange for the sales staff, prior to there bing a cabinet serving the estate, and the show house line not to be transferred.

Second, if you take the Address option of this checker, what shows on the line above the speed table? (Don't give us the address of course). Don't use the Postcode option.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jonkenator
(newbie) Sun 04-Mar-18 12:20:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS,

I couldn't rule out the first possibility, but it's not really a new estate, but a group of 4 new houses on an existing road. But our house would have been the first of the 4.

Interestingly the address option does give me a cabinet number:

Address 4 [blah blah blah] on Exchange SANDAL is served by Cabinet 35

And that cabinet is FTTC enabled. The cabinet is right outside the exchange building in fact.

But the address checker insisted on a postcode as well as street and house number - so not sure if that means it defaults to the postcode database?

Many thanks.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sun 04-Mar-18 14:15:23
Print Post

If the address checker gives FTTC predictions you like then you can order a service, simple as that.
It gives results for your exact address, not just the postcode.

Check your immediate neighbours addresses and see if they say the same.

If the number checker says no then you may need a database updating to transfer your current number to FTTC.
Standard User jonkenator
(newbie) Sun 04-Mar-18 14:32:34
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks j0hn83, I was hoping someone would say that. Seems like good news.

Only bad news is that it seems I now need to go back to BT and argue my case, unless there is some option I can take directly with OpenReach to update the database. Openreach's website suggests that any technical queries must be directed via the ISP (BT) but that's where it all falls over. Does anyone have any recommendations on getting in touch with Openreach directly?

I'd be more than happy to switch providers if I thought that would help.

Thanks all - this forum has helped me more in the last hour than the last 12 months with BT!
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Mar-18 15:36:17
Print Post

What happens when you put the postcode and select your address on their fibre broadband deals?

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/broadband/deals/

Don't put in your phone number and untick the contact about products option.

What does it say you can get?

Also what does it say when you put the Post Code and then address on the BTOR When and when page?

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

If they both say its available then I would either phone BT again and tell them this or just order fibre online.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Sun 04-Mar-18 16:52:32)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 04-Mar-18 15:41:12
Print Post

It may or may not be relevant jon, but which ISP(s) are your phone and broadband with at the moment. I'm thinking that if it is not one that uses BT Wholesale it may explain the number problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 04-Mar-18 15:42:14
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
and in-tick the contact about products option.
"un-tick"?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to