General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Sun 04-Mar-18 23:56:41
Print Post

Services from FTTC cabinet.

[link to this post]

Sorry if this is the wrong forum and/or an FAQ but much searching gives me no answer. I am on ADSL Max and 8.5km from the exchange. I am also about 3or 4 km from an FTTC cabinet, which our line goes past if not through. Is there any likely service available to me from the cabinet which might be better than our very poor ADSL connection?

Many thanks, rogerh
Standard User Nitro93
(learned) Mon 05-Mar-18 00:04:27
Print Post

Re: Services from FTTC cabinet.

[re: rogerh] [link to this post]

We'll need a bit more info for this, could you post what your phone number or address in this checker returns?

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 00:27:38
Print Post

[re: Nitro93] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying. Not sure how to format this: I've deleted some of the boilerplate.

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --

ADSL Products

Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 0.5 -- 0.25 to 1.5 Available -- --

ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --

Premise environment

Status
Bridge Tap U
VRI N
NTEFaceplate N
Last Test Date 16-05-2017

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

Edit: I suppose I was asking if there was anything they *could* be offering - it doesn't look as if they are offering anything other than ADSL2 from the exchange.

Edited by rogerh (Mon 05-Mar-18 00:46:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Mar-18 01:10:39
Print Post

3 to 4 km - MIGHT just give you FTTC. Friends who have a 3km line can get around 3Mbps, which is better than their previous 1Mbps ADSL on a near 10km line. However, in your case the problem may be in twisting BTs arm to actually get them to try it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Mar-18 01:25:53
Print Post

Were there VDSL lines above the FTTPoD one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 04:00:47
Print Post

Can you post the very top line, telling you the phone number/address, exchange, cabinet, etc.
Simply remove your phone number/address.

VDSL Multicast isn't available. It's possible you are on an EO line.

edit: actually, the presence of FTTPod indicates you are indeed connected to the cabinet.

At those distances I wouldn't expect you to get any service at all. The checker seems to confirm that.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 05-Mar-18 04:02:29)

Standard User rogerh
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 08:40:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Only the FTTP on demand (which since the nearest fibre is 1.5km away I probably can't afford) ADSL and ADSL2. The neighbours have begged BT retail to sell them VDSL to no avail. Why can't they supply ADSL2 from cabinet DSLAM equivalents?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Mar-18 09:26:04
Print Post

How many neighbours? There are several posters on these forums who with their neighbours have clubbed together to crowd fund an “infill” cabinet to supply FTTC locally.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 09:32:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by rogerh:
Only the FTTP on demand (which since the nearest fibre is 1.5km away I probably can't afford) ADSL and ADSL2. The neighbours have begged BT retail to sell them VDSL to no avail. Why can't they supply ADSL2 from cabinet DSLAM equivalents?

Because Ofcom do not allow this. VDSL is "notched" to not use or at least use much lower power on the ADSL frequencies because otherwise it would put Sky, Talktalk, etc at a disadvantage by causing interference with their exchange based ADSL2.

If BT supplied you with ADSL from the cabinet, Talktalk's investment in a DSLAM at the exchange would not be able to compete.

It's all about the false competition we have in UK broadband.

Were this to all be binned, you'd get a much better experience on VDSL as it would use the ADSL frequencies as well from a much lower distance.

In fact, the cabinet DSLAM almost certainly has the technical ability to provide you ADSL2, this is just not allowed in the UK.

Edited by nemeth782 (Mon 05-Mar-18 09:34:16)

Standard User rogerh
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 09:44:12
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

As requested, they do seem to confirm our line goes via a cabinet.

"Telephone Number 01650511xxx on Exchange CEMMAES ROAD is served by Cabinet 7 "
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to