General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-18 16:13:54
Print Post

FTTP available soon - stage 1 question

[link to this post]

We're on a rural ADSL line currently and I noticed at the start of the year that FTTP was to roll out soon. The Openreach checker now says..
"The cabinet that serves your premises is live, but your speeds aren't as fast as we'd like them to be. Your area has been reviewed and there is a plan to do further work to increase speeds via FTTP technology."
We have noticed some work on the poles on the road with loops of cable hanging on them. The pole at the end of our lane was having work done this week by Tyfer Networks - possibly subcontractor for Openreach here.

My question is about the actual mechanics of the install. Our house is down a fairly long lane. Our phone cable comes to us underground all the way after it leaves the pole and appears in the master socket in the hall (there was some rope sticking out of the wall before we moved in that I assume they used to pull the cable in with). There is a small BT manhole about 1/3 of the way down the lane.
I'm not just clear how this would work with regard to installing the CSP. Will the engineer use the existing ducting down the lane and break out of this somewhere near the house? Do they run a totally new duct? Would they bring the new fibre cable straight into the hall - no CSP so I assume not an option.
I'm also a bit worried as a contractor working on the lane broke the plastic pipe just outside the gates. I recall seeing the 2 broken ends of a grey plastic pipe with the water main and phone cables dangling in between. They claim to have repaired it but I can't be 100% sure. Can I rely on the 'everything up to the house is an Openreach problem' and hope it just gets fixed?
Sorry for all the questions and many thanks for any info / answers / opinions.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-18 16:49:58
Print Post

Re: FTTP available soon - stage 1 question

[re: DrSteve] [link to this post]

Too many ifs and buts really ... basically when ready to go, and if required, a survey will be made to decide how best to proceed.

Basically, when you can order, do so ... Openreach will sort it out from there.

Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-18 17:31:47
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yeah, I appreciate that.
Just went up the lane to have a look at the pole. Looks to be a multiport on there rather than a manifold. Looks like this.
Would this then suggest a connectorised install?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(member) Sat 10-Mar-18 17:53:57
Print Post

yes that would suggest a 1 stage connectorised install
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-18 18:16:35
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Yes its a CBT (connectorised block terminal)

There would actually be two visits, an ID engineer would be tasked to prove up light to one of the ports.
Itís just itís not like a BFT install where the ID bod provides service to the CSP on the property.

Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-18 19:01:50
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Does this mean less flexibility about where the ONT ends up? At the minute we have the ADSL router plugged straight into the master socket in the hall. This has a couple of issues one of which is the aesthetics. Wifey not too keen on it being on display and would be even less keen on ONT +/- battery backup attached to the wall in the hall. I was hoping to pick where the stage 1 install ended up so that I could have the ONT upstairs in study by going up and through the external wall.
Standard User unknown101
(regular) Sat 10-Mar-18 19:51:21
Print Post

Hope your less 150m from the CBT otherwise itís a no go.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-18 20:51:08
Print Post

Nope, not at all ..... run it up the wall and in.

The ONT/BBU are now housed in a neater looking box.

Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-18 21:14:04
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

I'd say it's well over 150m from the pole to the house. 150m wouldn't even reach the end of the lane never mind going across the garden to the house!! Don't tell me I've got no chance! It's so close.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-18 21:58:23
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by unknown101:
Hope your less 150m from the CBT otherwise itís a no go.
Why do you say that? FTTP should be able to go along way.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to