General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-18 16:13:54
Print Post

FTTP available soon - stage 1 question

[link to this post]

We're on a rural ADSL line currently and I noticed at the start of the year that FTTP was to roll out soon. The Openreach checker now says..
"The cabinet that serves your premises is live, but your speeds aren't as fast as we'd like them to be. Your area has been reviewed and there is a plan to do further work to increase speeds via FTTP technology."
We have noticed some work on the poles on the road with loops of cable hanging on them. The pole at the end of our lane was having work done this week by Tyfer Networks - possibly subcontractor for Openreach here.

My question is about the actual mechanics of the install. Our house is down a fairly long lane. Our phone cable comes to us underground all the way after it leaves the pole and appears in the master socket in the hall (there was some rope sticking out of the wall before we moved in that I assume they used to pull the cable in with). There is a small BT manhole about 1/3 of the way down the lane.
I'm not just clear how this would work with regard to installing the CSP. Will the engineer use the existing ducting down the lane and break out of this somewhere near the house? Do they run a totally new duct? Would they bring the new fibre cable straight into the hall - no CSP so I assume not an option.
I'm also a bit worried as a contractor working on the lane broke the plastic pipe just outside the gates. I recall seeing the 2 broken ends of a grey plastic pipe with the water main and phone cables dangling in between. They claim to have repaired it but I can't be 100% sure. Can I rely on the 'everything up to the house is an Openreach problem' and hope it just gets fixed?
Sorry for all the questions and many thanks for any info / answers / opinions.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-18 16:49:58
Print Post

Re: FTTP available soon - stage 1 question

[re: DrSteve] [link to this post]

Too many ifs and buts really ... basically when ready to go, and if required, a survey will be made to decide how best to proceed.

Basically, when you can order, do so ... Openreach will sort it out from there.

Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-18 17:31:47
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yeah, I appreciate that.
Just went up the lane to have a look at the pole. Looks to be a multiport on there rather than a manifold. Looks like this.
Would this then suggest a connectorised install?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(member) Sat 10-Mar-18 17:53:57
Print Post

yes that would suggest a 1 stage connectorised install
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-18 18:16:35
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Yes its a CBT (connectorised block terminal)

There would actually be two visits, an ID engineer would be tasked to prove up light to one of the ports.
Itís just itís not like a BFT install where the ID bod provides service to the CSP on the property.

Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-18 19:01:50
Print Post

Does this mean less flexibility about where the ONT ends up? At the minute we have the ADSL router plugged straight into the master socket in the hall. This has a couple of issues one of which is the aesthetics. Wifey not too keen on it being on display and would be even less keen on ONT +/- battery backup attached to the wall in the hall. I was hoping to pick where the stage 1 install ended up so that I could have the ONT upstairs in study by going up and through the external wall.
Standard User unknown101
(regular) Sat 10-Mar-18 19:51:21
Print Post

Hope your less 150m from the CBT otherwise itís a no go.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-18 20:51:08
Print Post

Nope, not at all ..... run it up the wall and in.

The ONT/BBU are now housed in a neater looking box.

Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-18 21:14:04
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

I'd say it's well over 150m from the pole to the house. 150m wouldn't even reach the end of the lane never mind going across the garden to the house!! Don't tell me I've got no chance! It's so close.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-18 21:58:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by unknown101:
Hope your less 150m from the CBT otherwise itís a no go.
Why do you say that? FTTP should be able to go along way.

Michael Chare
Standard User cymru123
(member) Sat 10-Mar-18 23:16:52
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Why do you say that? FTTP should be able to go along way.

It's nothing to do with the technology of CBT FTTP, more to do with the supplier cable lengths available that Openreach have.
I believe when it comes to CBT, the maximum supplied CBT drop cable is at a length of 160 meters.

Edited by cymru123 (Sat 10-Mar-18 23:18:32)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-18 06:32:01
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Yep, 160m OH, 150m UG.

Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sun 11-Mar-18 07:30:12
Print Post

That's not the best news! So there's no way round it? 150m is never going to reach the house from the CBT.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-18 09:39:28
Print Post

Of course thereís a way round it smile

At survey stage itíll get picked up, so they may put and additional CBT further down the lane.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Mar-18 10:28:14
Print Post

Yeah join two lengths of cable together

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Mar-18 10:29:43
Print Post

There is a cost limit to what will be done to get the final drop to a property, so at survey time they may come back and say excess construction charges apply

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sun 11-Mar-18 10:56:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That sounds a bit more promising. It's approx 260m from the pole to the front of the house along the lane. There is a small one of these about a 1/3 of the way down the lane outside the 1st property on the lane (there are 2 houses and 2 further undeveloped sites) and the current phone line is in a plastic pipe running the whole way to property boundary. That might help I suppose. Don't mind contributing if need be but not one of thoese crazy FTTPoD costs!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-18 11:14:34
Print Post

Yep, thatíd do it. wink

I do think the likely solution would be an additional CBT fitted further down the lane, seen this done before.

Standard User unknown101
(regular) Sun 11-Mar-18 13:41:13
Print Post

This isnít allowed but I wouldnít be surprised if it happens.
Standard User unknown101
(regular) Sun 11-Mar-18 13:44:01
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Limitation of the cables supplied, houses wonít show availability if at the survey stage of the build it is identified that they are more than 150m from the CBT they wonít be included and capacity wonít be created for those houses. There is a new length of cable coming out but this is only for limited uses and has to be installed at the build stage.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-18 15:28:25
Print Post

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1441128,-0.3459053...

So the CBT is right at the junction of the lanes, and yet customers at the top of Vann Lake are able to order .... additional CBT was fitted up at the top end, and even then further extended into one of the properties itself.

It took a little longer to sort out , but it got done.

The suggestion that service wouldn't be offered because the premade kits aren't long enough would be a very dubious business practice. Problems arise, they very often get sorted.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-18 15:32:16
Print Post

So what about the estates where CBT infrastructure is in place, but the builders still fit 2 fibres from the CSP outside to the internal CSP, so that's not just a one off on the day fix, that's hundreds of homes served like this.

I can name two large estates round here where this has been done.

Standard User FTTP2
(learned) Mon 12-Mar-18 21:16:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrSteve:
That sounds a bit more promising. It's approx 260m from the pole to the front of the house along the lane. There is a small one of these about a 1/3 of the way down the lane outside the 1st property on the lane (there are 2 houses and 2 further undeveloped sites) and the current phone line is in a plastic pipe running the whole way to property boundary. That might help I suppose. Don't mind contributing if need be but not one of thoese crazy FTTPoD costs!

When are you planning to order FTTP!? We are getting it tomorrow (hopefully)
Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Tue 13-Mar-18 11:02:25
Print Post

[re: FTTP2] [link to this post]

As soon as I'm able to!
The company that seem to be doing the work are Tyfer Networks, a local company that I assume are carrying out the work for Openreach. They were back yesterday working a bit further up the road. I guess it depends how long it takes to get all the poles connected back to the node or exchange or wherever they connect to.
In the meantime I'll just be spamming the checker to see if it changes!

I was having a look along the rest of the road. We're on a rural road in North Antrim. There are some properties along the road but a lot are down lanes like we are, plenty of farms too. I would have thought the 2 stage approach would allow significantly more connections than the 1 stage if they apply the 150m limit. I can see the benefit in an urban area but maybe 'old' way would have worked better in this area. I suppose somebody already looked into this an decided otherwise before the roll-out though.
Standard User FTTP2
(learned) Tue 13-Mar-18 20:40:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrSteve:
I would have thought the 2 stage approach would allow significantly more connections than the 1 stage if they apply the 150m limit. I can see the benefit in an urban area but maybe 'old' way would have worked better in this area. I suppose somebody already looked into this an decided otherwise before the roll-out though.

2-stage seems to be phased out. They are not going to do this anymore, guess it just cost more money to have two people doing the job. The engineer today called it Ďlegacyí connection.

It seems the system has moved on to this connectorised 1-stage.

Anyway, we also went through this whole process. Once the cables are laid, there is another team that connects them up. Thatís when you should ask them when do you they think it will be commissioned/published. That sort of means that they are testing the lines and make it ready for getting into the systems.

Good luck.
Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 17-Mar-18 11:21:43
Print Post

Thanks for the reply and all the other replies too. I suppose it's just a waiting game now with a daily check of the availability checker.

Out of interest do you know how FTTPoD would work in this situation? I understand that the cost is based on running fibre from the aggregation node to the premises. Is this still the case when there are splitters and CBTs on all the poles along the road?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Mar-18 11:24:42
Print Post

If you are not connected to a VDSL2 under current FoD rules you would not be able to order FoD.

If they've marked you as not possible for FTTP but near you, common reason being they see the length of final drop is in the excess construction charge region and don't list FTTP availability. With the right provider you might be able to get a quote for the ECC cost to get FTTP to you.

As always speculation until everything is built and you know its working as a neighbour has it up and running.

Standard User DrSteve
(newbie) Sat 17-Mar-18 11:38:47
Print Post

I am currently connected to a FTTC enabled cabinet but due to the distance FTTC is not available. When we moved in we were on a long rural EO line but this has now been routed through a new cabinet outside the exchange but this would be 2-3 miles away and possible longer depending on the route our line actually takes.
The checker does show FTTP on Demand as available on our line though.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Mar-18 12:22:17
Print Post

One would hope then if you are missed out from the FTTP roll-out, then the FoD option will remain, what they'll charge is the big question, I'd hope it would cover just the cost back to the existing FTTP network, but it may be that was dimensioned for the premises passed so no capacity for you, which would push a FoD cost up

Standard User DrSteve
(learned) Tue 10-Apr-18 16:09:42
Print Post

Just a quick update in case anyone was interested. I have been spamming the checker for the last couple of weeks and today it changed to available. Straight on to the phone to Zen and have ordered their 300/50 product. Lady on the phone was talking about 2 engineer visits but the checker says it is a 1 stage install which she didn't seem to have heard of. I mentioned extra build costs because of the lane but she said they are rare and OR usually 'swallow them'! Here's hoping. Says this below the checker...

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed Not Evaluated.

I assume that's since there hasn't been any sort of survey the the area yet.
Standard User DrSteve
(learned) Fri 13-Apr-18 17:43:56
Print Post

Slight delay. Apparently there's an exception on the line which needs to removed manually. Not sure exactly what this entails but Zen can't check again for an update until next Wednesday.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to