General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scottreadman
(newbie) Tue 13-Mar-18 13:40:47
Print Post

Old BT Junction box problem

[link to this post]

We move into a new flat and the main telephone socket comes from a really old little oval junction box. The junction box is loose on the windowsill with bear wires coming out of it and is easily reachable by our children. It'll last days if that in its current position/state.

Our provider says theres nothing wrong with the line so they won't get an engineer to replace/move it and OR won't do anything without the provider booking it.

Heres the box: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xKXfLIBgzT1uM1g42

I seem to have no options but to move it myself or get someone to do it as they've left me no choice.

Anyone?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-18 13:47:33
Print Post

Re: Old BT Junction box problem

[re: scottreadman] [link to this post]

Is provider willing to book Openreach if you accept the costs?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scottreadman
(newbie) Tue 13-Mar-18 13:52:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nope. They won't do anything unless they find a fault on the line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(learned) Tue 13-Mar-18 14:08:54
Print Post

Just to be clear: is this junction box between the external wire coming in and your master socket? Or is it between the master socket and some internal extension wiring you have?

If it's internal - you are quite within your rights to go ahead and fix it anyway.

If it's external - I would be inclined just to fix it yourself. Or if not, then when your children pull it off the wall then there will be a fault you can report smile

You can get your SP to order a master socket move - but that will set you back £160 (I think).

If you have not yet ordered FTTC, and you have an old style master box, you *might* be able to get an engineer install to update the master box. I don't know if that still happens, or all FTTC is self-install these days.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-18 14:43:43
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

FTTC is pretty much all self install, £99+VAT wholesale cost for managed install if you find a provider who does it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Mar-18 14:45:59
Print Post

Wow, name and shame your pants service provider ...

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 13-Mar-18 14:53:46
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
If it's external - I would be inclined just to fix it yourself. Or if not, then when your children pull it off the wall then there will be a fault you can report smile

That could be a chargeable repair - even if before the master, damage that can be attributed can be billed. So junction box pulled off - chargeable; wire ripped out - chargeable; lose screw inside creating intermittent fault - not normally chargeable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 13-Mar-18 15:56:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Wow, name and shame your pants service provider ...

Thing is though they canít push it through as a damage report due to it being internal.

They could create a CDTA job, but Openreach would raise a TRC.

Icaras
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Tue 13-Mar-18 15:59:14
Print Post

That is a really old socket isn't it? Isn't it these that used to be fitted when BT owned the equipment, before the days of the plug in socket? From what I remember, you are not permitted to do any work on these sockets (legally), only BT can fit a new master socket to the premises. I wouldn't have thought a provider would allow a fibre/ broadband order to progress with this type of equipment still in place.

http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-18 16:17:37
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

"I wouldn't have thought a provider would allow a fibre/ broadband order to progress with this type of equipment still in place."

Why? Junctions to join internal to external wire have no real impact on the DSL side of things unless a screw or IDC is not made properly.

The cable behind the UPVC is probably external and the other seems to be heading off with the required pair to what is probably a master. High chance it was all ok until some windows were replaced.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to