General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jimasap
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-18 13:12:57
Print Post

Behind Carrier Group NAT?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm looking to set up a local server, but came across the term Carrier Group NAT, which may make it impossible to do.

I have a home fibre broadband connection.

Does anyone know how I can find out if I am behind a Carrier Group NAT?

Thanks

Jim
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Mar-18 13:20:22
Print Post

Re: Behind Carrier Group NAT?

[re: jimasap] [link to this post]

Which provider?

Running a consumer service across CGNat is not great, as may cause issues with some services.

Why do you think you are behind a GGNat, rather than just the usual NAT that the router in your home is running, and the way to resolve NAT is to use port forwarding in the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jimasap
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-18 13:24:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm having issues with connectivity.

With SSE who use Daisy Communications.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Mar-18 13:29:25
Print Post

Connectivity to and from what?

Have you created the hole in the local router NAT (port forwarding) so the 'server' is visible from the Internet?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jimasap
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-18 13:37:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, yes, I am setting up a local FTP server on Windows 10 . I have configured the firewall and router to forward the port, but unable to connect to the server through the public IP.

There are 5 IPv4 routes listed on the router (not sure what this means), so I got my public IP from a web tool.

Googling solutions raised the issue that if you're behind a NAT444/CGNAT then it is not possible to configure a local server because the port forwarding would need to be done on the ISPs network?

The public IP I have never changes, even when disconnecting, so I'm hoping it is a static IP?

It's been many years since I last set up a local server.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Mar-18 14:10:39
Print Post

can you see the server locally ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Mar-18 14:33:59
Print Post

If you are on a PC on your local LAN and trying ftp <YOUR PUBLIC IP> then this won't work because NAT loopback is probably not present on your router.

To test if the FTP server is running you first do fttp <ITS LAN IP ADDRESS> if that works and then you've set up the forwarding correctly then you need to use a device NOT on your own network to see if it connect.

So nothing to do with CGNAT

Standard User candlerb
(learned) Sun 18-Mar-18 17:37:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by jimasap:
I'm looking to set up a local server, but came across the term Carrier Group NAT, which may make it impossible to do.

I have a home fibre broadband connection.

Does anyone know how I can find out if I am behind a Carrier Group NAT?

Carrier *grade* NAT just means a honking big NAT box at your ISP. It's unusual for wired ISPs in the UK, but you may see it if you are on a small or new provider. It's very common for mobile.

The way to find out is to go to your router's management interface and see what IP address it has been assigned on its WAN interface. Then go to a site like whatsmyip.org which tells you what IP address it sees your incoming connection coming from. If they are the same, then you are not behind a CGN. If they are different, then you are.

If you are behind CGN, then your WAN address will have picked up some sort of private address, which the CGN NATs to a public address. In this context, "private" does include the well-known RFC1918 ranges (192.168.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x, 10.x.x.x) but there is also a block specially reserved for CGN (100.64-127.x.x). And occasionally I've seen networks just take random bits of public IP address space and treat it as if it were private.
Standard User philjohn
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-18 21:54:56
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Sadly not going to be unusual for long - with Virgin announcing they'll be going to IPV6 using DS-Lite, so native IPV6 and CGNAT for IPV4
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Mar-18 23:43:19
Print Post

Is your server down steam of a domestic router using NAT? If so getting FTP to work from outside your home network is difficult. Google for 'ftp Nat'.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to