General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User steve_cooper
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-18 23:14:59
Print Post

2 phone lines, same house, different broadband options

[link to this post]

So I have 2 BT phone lines with broadband (1 currently on plusnet, 1 on BT)

My plusnet line now shows on dslchecker.bt.com the following:

https://i.imgur.com/sLw8hS6.png

My BT line shows:

https://i.imgur.com/I0hsD0w.png

If I enter my plusnet line into BTs checker it will allow me to place an order for ULTRAFAST 1 (up to 152Mb), whereas my BT line only shows the Infinity products.
Both these lines come from the same cabinet, over the same poles, into the same property.
Anyone that can think of a reason for this?

Many thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Mar-18 23:32:00
Print Post

Re: 2 phone lines, same house, different broadband options

[re: steve_cooper] [link to this post]

Do you have FTTC on both lines and are stats identical?

Are both lines terminated at just a master socket with no extensions?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-18 23:56:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah both on fttc and both synced at 80/20. Both on separate master sockets with no extensions

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Mar-18 10:05:47
Print Post

It may be the g.fast estimates are messed up, others have reported inconsistencies

If attenuation, max rates are identical and especially if max rate is beyond 80,000 I'd say the checker has the wrong estimate for the line that is amber.

Needs to be raised via provider, I don't chase down the g.fast oddities yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Mar-18 15:49:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

"I don't chase down the g.fast oddities yet. "

Do you really want to though (insert, a few thousand more emails)...

Seriously though isps do need to get some trained bods sorted out ..
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 26-Mar-18 14:04:06
Print Post

Hi Steve

I posted about the inconsistencies in the checker results in another thread. As your 'good' line is around the lowest estimate for a G-Fast service the other may have just dropped below the limit.

The checker seems to be run on the distance from the Cab and two flats in the same house served from exactly the same DP can have different results for no reason I can identify ( So far). I believe that it is to do with the recorded distances in the OR system that may be slightly different.

In reality your measured line stats tell us that you would get a high G-Fast speed, better than the estimate given! Whether you will be able to order one as the computer says NO is a different matter. Getting OR to recognise the inaccuracies will be difficult and take time as they need to get a scalable experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Mar-18 14:15:55
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

If it helps to set us apart from the majority of broadband comparison sites then I might just have to give up sleeping

(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-18 15:06:56
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Yeah seems pretty strange as using the address checker shows my next door neighbour estimated @ 300/26 on the low end.
And a house even further down the road away from the cabinet gets 200+ estimates.
If I use my address using the checker on BT consumer website, it shows ULTRAFAST available, so I could theoretically order a new line and cancel my current one which doesn't show up. Don't think I can be bothered with that though so I might just wait to see what happens in a couple of months or so...

Thanks for your input

Edited by steve_cooper (Mon 26-Mar-18 15:11:25)

Print Thread

Jump to