General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Sat 24-Mar-18 21:30:35
Print Post

Advice on FTTP Installation (Stage 1 & Stage 2)

[link to this post]

I've got an FTTP installation coming up, Stage 1 this Thursday afternoon and I will be present and then a couple of weeks later Stage 2, again I will be present.

The pictures below explain things perhaps a little better, but my current master socket has no power socket anywhere near it being behind the front door on the right side (looking at it from the outside) so I'm going to need the new FTTP gear located in a different place.

I'm quite heavily into computing and virtualisation and have plans to install a patch panel and wire the house as we redecorate, so placement of my network gear is kind of important in my plans.

My current FTTC comes in via a telephone cable from a pole outside my house, and from talking to the BT engineer who turned up a week early to do stage 1 via an unexpected call is required to terminate the Stage 1 install at a box at groundish level directly below that. The external photo here shows the placement with the red circle being where the cable attaches to the house and the blue circle being the area I assume he refers to where the Stage 1 will terminate. I've been told that's non-negotiable.

For stage 2 I'd ideally like to route this externally initially under the roof on the photo above indicated by the blue line, then going into the garage and then entering an interior cupboard via the garage, as shown on the floor plan here. Total distance from the Stage 1 to where I want the equipment is definitely less than 30m.

Is this a feasible plan? Just trying to anticipate what is possible and if necessary, start thinking of possible alternatives, so I'd be grateful of any advice?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Mar-18 21:40:59
Print Post

Re: Advice on FTTP Installation (Stage 1 & Stage 2)

[re: CHBMB] [link to this post]

The only problem I can see may be the curvature to get through the garage doorframe.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71456/14100Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Mar-18 22:19:42
Print Post

Yep, that all looks entirely do-able ....

Clear the interior garage wall to make it as easy as possible.

Presume there’s spare power in the cupboard ?

Less than 30 m ..... sorted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Sat 24-Mar-18 22:32:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yeah there's a double power socket in there. Garage wall is clear. Should I pre-drill through to the cupboard or is that not necessary?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Mar-18 22:43:11
Print Post

If desperate, an 8ml hole will do it ....

I expect the installer would be happy to do it though, then they can run it straight into the back of the ONT housing. All neat and tidy.

Whereabouts in the country are you ?

Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Sat 24-Mar-18 23:18:26
Print Post

I'm in Staffs
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Mar-18 08:15:50
Print Post

Ah, won’t be me then.

Hope it all goes well.

Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Wed 28-Mar-18 21:41:55
Print Post

Stage 1 happened today. Got to say I was really impressed with the three guys that turned up, Happy to show me the whole process, blowing the fibre and splicing etc.

Nice friendly chaps, could tell they took care to do things right. Credit to the company. (It was Kelly)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 22:05:14
Print Post

Pleased that bit went as planned ... roll on stage 2.

Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-18 12:07:53
Print Post

So stage 2 went smoothly, ONT located where I requested, broadband working well. Only issue is I have no phone line any longer.....

Neither my copper line nor my ONT telephone port are working. Rang BT today and they tell me I should be using my copper line not the ONT to plug in my phone which was a bit of a surprise to me and I wondered if that's correct.

Anyone shed any light?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-18 12:39:56
Print Post

For homes with an existing copper line this is what is often still used for the phone i.e. remains untouched

Does phone line have dial tone? And what does 17070 report as the number.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-18 12:51:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No dial tone, not tried 17070 as not at home at the moment.

Is it possible Plusnet haven't released my line back to BT?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-18 13:20:06
Print Post

If no dial tone then 17070 won't work.

If paying voice line rental then time to chase and say they need to fix no matter whether its via ONT or old copper line.

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 16-Apr-18 13:21:08)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-18 19:54:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by CHBMB:
No dial tone, not tried 17070 as not at home at the moment.

Is it possible Plusnet haven't released my line back to BT?

If they have also replaced the Master socket with a new one that has a little slider in it that says Copper or Fibre, you need to make sure its switched to copper.

When you get FTTP you can also order FVA where your phone line gets moved over to the fibre connection.

In your case its still on the copper line, so you need to make sure (if new master socket with switch) its set to copper.

Look here: Phone Service (BT CUST HELP)
Look at Step 2, but switch from Fibre to Copper, that's if you have a new Master Socket that has this feature.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 16-Apr-18 19:58:05)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 21:36:07
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The first two photo's here show the older style FVA NTE plate.

If the service has gone to FVA, the the 'TEL1" light should be lit on the ONTE

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-18 21:53:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The first two photo's here show the older style FVA NTE plate.

If the service has gone to FVA, the the 'TEL1" light should be lit on the ONTE

Yeah, I was wondering if the OP had one of those face plates fitted and it was in the fibre position by mistake which would result in no phone line.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 22:04:32
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

On the new ones that fit an NTE5C the switch is on the (I think) left hand side.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-18 22:58:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
On the new ones that fit an NTE5C the switch is on the (I think) left hand side.

Ah, I don't have that faceplate, the Master Socket 5C that I have on my desk only has the combined phone and dsl faceplate.

The Engineer that did the internal work for my FTTP install said that he could install the new 5C Socket, but the current 5A is more solid compared to the 5C, and said it might be better to keep that considering it was brand new.

Sadly he didn't have a switchable phone line faceplate for the 5A in his van.

This was why he removed the dsl filer faceplate and left the cable in place ready for FVA to go live over the next few days, where I just had to remove the old copper line and connect the new cable, which is easy to do.

The only hard part for me to do was getting up off the floor LOL

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to