General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sjandrews
(newbie) Sun 01-Apr-18 22:10:08
Print Post

New FFTC cabinet - how to connect

[link to this post]

Hello

I hope someone can point me in the right direction with this.

This question is raised on behalf of my father in law who is struggling to upgrade to FTTC despite a new cabinet recently being installed outside his property.

Their existing ADSL is ok but not reliable.

I know from looking at BT DSL CHECKER that other houses on the same road are connected to the new cabinet of the exchange and are capable of 80/20 FTTC.

BT really need Openreach to survey the address and confirm this is possible, I thought there was an emphasis on Openreach and service providers to get people onto super fast broadband as soon as possible and the infrastructure is now there but for a couple of spans of dropwire.

How do we sort this out?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

Edited by Sjandrews (Sun 01-Apr-18 22:12:53)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Mon 02-Apr-18 06:23:45
Print Post

Re: New FFTC cabinet - how to connect

[re: Sjandrews] [link to this post]

You haven't actually stated what the problem is.
Is/Was It an exchange only line?

Can you visit the BT Broadband availability checker, use the address search option and enter the address in question

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

Post the results here including the top line which indicates which exchange it is. Remember to remove the address.
Standard User Sjandrews
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-18 08:03:46
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I can't seem to paste an image in as using a tablet, however the Exchange is Sturminster Newton, my father in law's line uses cab2 which is 2 miles away, a new cabinet (15) is 30m from the house.

DSL CHECKER shows ADSL 2+ is only available on the line but houses 200m up the lane can get fibre through the new cab.

I do not believe there is a massive task to feed from cab as cab15 is fed via aerial cable and father in law's line fed from same poles.

Please let me know if this helps, if not I'll see if can paste the DSL CHECKER results on a PC.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 08:08:39
Print Post

Is cab 15 a newly installed cab ?

This sounds suspiciously linkba database issue.

You cannot directly post images onto this forum, either use a free image hosting site and link to that, or copy and paste the output of the checker page.

Standard User SJHambly
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-18 09:53:18
Print Post

Based on my frustrating experience, It will depend entirely upon the geography of the phone lines.

In our village of ~250 properties, fed from a neighbouring village, an AIO infill cabinet was added part way up in the village. The ~40 houses below the cabinet were not connected to it as to do so involved increasing the length of these properties phone lines which was deemed unacceptable by Openreach (As, I was told, it would degrade the ADSL service of those properties that wished to stay with their existing ADSL service rather than upgrading to VDSL2 - even presenting OR with a statement from every one of those 40 properties that they would either switch to VDSL2 or accept a slight degradation to their ADSL service for the greater good didn't help).

The cut off point affected properties fed by the same pole with some on the new cabinet and some on the old.

Just recently, the ~40 properties benefited from an infill of FTTP at what must have been massive expense, some 18 months after the AIO went live for the others.

And now, the AIO is completely full, with expansion by way of a second cabinet due by March 2019.

Simon
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 02-Apr-18 11:00:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Is cab 15 a newly installed cab ?

This sounds suspiciously linkba database issue.

You cannot directly post images onto this forum, either use a free image hosting site and link to that, or copy and paste the output of the checker page.

Simon has posted on the official BT Forum and I suggested he registered and posted here as he's likely to get more information.

Yes it's a new cabinet along with it would appear cab 14 - https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1...

That's all I could find out myself.

Additionally the new info he's put I was not aware of.

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 11:03:55
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

OK, so that hangs with the database issue ...

So the OP should give it a few days to right itself, then maybe a politely worded email to Mr.Saffron

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 02-Apr-18 11:08:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The cut off point affected properties fed by the same pole with some on the new cabinet and some on the old.

Just recently, the ~40 properties benefited from an infill of FTTP at what must have been massive expense, some 18 months after the AIO went live for the others.

And now, the AIO is completely full, with expansion by way of a second cabinet due by March 2019

This bit interests me. So the area had an All-In-One infill cabinet installed, but not all lines were connected to it (is that Cab 13 on the list?) and now the "remaining" lines are to get FTTP?

I have to admit I'm confused.

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User Sjandrews
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-18 12:03:27
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Does anyone know the best way for me to try and change the routing. I understand this is not a normal request and not something Openreach generally consider but there are addresses on the same postcode with FFTC capabilities so I really want to open a dialogue with the correct department, ideally Openreach rather than BT who I guess can't help.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 12:47:10
Print Post

Can you checker other numbers in your street via the checker ?

How recently did the new cab go live ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to