General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Apr-18 18:58:18
Print Post

Master socket/microfilters/no telegraph poles?

[link to this post]

I have just moved into a flat and came from Virgin FTTH but will now be getting BT FTTC next week. From my old adsl days I recall a master socket (I think) but as we only ever had one phone socket, it was obvious where that was!

The problem I have now is this flat, built in 2003 and it has about 5 phone sockets, installed when it was built. So I have no idea where the master socket might be, I guess if I needed to use it, I would need to take the faceplate off each socket until I find it? All sockets look identical, just a brushed metal look with a single plug.

I also can't see any telegraph poles with lines going over towards the flats (it's 2x 3 storey buildings with 12 flats in each), I guess the copper cabling must have been put underground or something?

I assume I will need to plug a microfilter into each socket and then any phones into the microfilters, just like when I had adsl many years ago?

And I guess with so many sockets, I can plug the modem into any of them?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-18 22:07:51
Print Post

Re: Master socket/microfilters/no telegraph poles?

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

FTTC works MUCH better if run from a single socket with no extension wiring connected, or from a filtered faceplate with the extension wiring connected afterwards.

Is it possible there’s an NTE hiding in a cupboard somewhere, maybe where the fuse board is located also ?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Apr-18 23:23:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I was wondering if it is one of those “oh so elegant” silly modular systems.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74026/13734Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User unknown101
(regular) Tue 10-Apr-18 07:33:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That or comes in by the main door and then star wired all around the flat, had that many times before. Best to disconnect everything and run off the master socket, but a NTe5 and SSFP off eBay, if not in an ideal location then run a data extension off the SSFP to an ideal location nearby with power. Basic krone tool and a preterminated RJ11 on the other end job done.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 09:04:31
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

Well this is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I don't know if there is another socket, there is a cupboard in the hallway so I will have to check in there. It sounds like the whole thing is probably a complete mess. All I know is most of the sockets I found had a filter hanging out of them and they are all identical looking metal faceplates.

This is a pic of the one in the living room where I most likely want to put the router and modem (I dont know what the plain one is to the right of it with no sockets on it!)
http://i65.tinypic.com/23saek1.jpg

Edited by Ewok (Tue 10-Apr-18 09:05:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Apr-18 09:47:36
Print Post

Plain is just a blanking plate - maybe Ethernet was an option or similar.

Down to you or paying someone to figure out which socket is best to be the master, or this may be in the hallway cupboard

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 09:49:05
Print Post

Take everyone off the wall and take a picture - for reference and post them here.

Check what type of wire has been used, how many wires to each, are there any additional components on any or all ...

Look in the meter cupboard for any additional sockets, or plain BT boxes. There are "master terminations" which do not have a socket on them - just a face plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:10:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yeah I hope there isn't some sort of master socket in the meter cupboard because the meter cupboard is outside the flat, on the landing, and past the lift!

I am thinking I might have to get BT out to figure it out and make sure the right socket is in the right place. I am going with IDNET so hopefully if I have to do that then they will be better at getting it sorted than most. My activation day is Friday 20th.

I will open them up and take some more pics.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:14:11
Print Post

If you get Openreach to do it then looking at around £130 charge

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:14:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I will open them up and see if one of them is maybe a master, if I cant sort it out then will probably have to get an engineer out to sort it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to