General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:16:13
Print Post

Re: Master socket/microfilters/no telegraph poles?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I expect that's what I might have to do. Hopefully if I do end up needing that, I can still use it in the mean time without screwing up the line settings and ended up on some sort of slow line as a result. Especially after I have invested in a zyxel B10a to use in bridge mode with my AC86U.

Edited by Ewok (Tue 10-Apr-18 10:20:13)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:23:50
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

And if there is a master remote from the flat, BT may not want to do much else as that wiring was installed by others and of unknown quality and routing.

Have a good look around and pictures of the wiring of all sockets will help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-18 12:47:31
Print Post

I meant a cupboard in your flat itself ....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-18 14:50:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The most recent flat I've worked in has just such an arrangement. There's a master socket (and FTTP fibre) coming up into a cupboard in the middle of the flat. There are four secondary sockets dotted around the flat coming from this. Or there were wink

The sockets were all wired with Cat 5e so they're now being used for ethernet smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:11:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Ok I have got pictures of all of them except one

First pic is a cupboard in the hallway, the others are living room, kitchen and bedroom. The first one looks a bit different to the others.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2h2ma1i.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2u793eu.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/22b0bm.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/optw8h.jpg
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:21:40
Print Post

The first is the actual master - the components confirm it.

The Bl/W and W/Bl will be in incoming pair, and the Bl/W, W/Bl & Or/W are to an extension which could be pic 3 or 4 (or the missing one), from there it will go to the next one which has two sets, then to the next and finally to the one in Pic 2 with just one.

It looks like CW1308 - phone cable.

Not an easy way to get a connection to the living room where you need/want it. If there is enough at each location to pull some more cable through to give access to Gn/W & W/Gn you may be able to daisy chain a data connection through - with a faceplate in the cupboard. Not the nicest and cleanest but would be better than multiple filters.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:28:47
Print Post

Number 1 looks like the master.

Immediate change remove ring wire from pin 3, modern phones will ring and microfilters reproduce the ring wire if needed.

For best what you need to do is replace the socket 1 with a proper master socket and fit a faceplate filter.

https://amzn.to/2HbUx6U £6.39 for a new master (but will up more proud from the wall than the existing one probably and need to check sizes.

Solwise do a faceplate filter https://amzn.to/2qmeGfX £8.95

The issue being if this is the master socket you are not meant to fiddle, if you get it wrong and create a fault you are likely to get charged for putting it right.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:32:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

So my options I think?

Plug the modem into that master socket in the cupboard and maybe then try and run a cat5 to the living room where I want to put the router (which I believe is the location of the 3rd pic) - then have a filter on each phone?

Pull some more cable through if possible and use Gn/W and W/Gn (no idea how to do that tongue)

or get IDNET to get BT to move the master socket to the living room assuming they can/will do that and pay about £130)?
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:38:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So to be able to plug the modem in at all, I need to change the master socket to an NTE5 (and figure out hwo to wire it properly) and then stick a new faceplate on it?

This would still require filters on each phone in the other sockets?

And this would mean I can only plug the modem into this socket (probably 20m from where I am thinking about putting the router)?

In which case I would then need to run a cat5 from that cupboard from the modem to the router.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:41:05
Print Post

Put a FILTERED face plate on that socket. Then you can have phones at each location without dangly filters. You could plug the modem in there and run Cat5e.

Or as above, but if you can get Gn/W & W/Gn at each socket, connect those to the A&B terminals on a faceplate, then twist together the matching pair at each socket and insulate, then convert the last one to an RJ socket not phone and plug in the modem there. Not ideal and would be sub optimal but would overcome the problem.

Getting the master moved - easy enough but you will have CW1308 around te skirting board and door frames. So you may as well save the money and run Cat5e.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to