General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:27:16
Print Post

Re: Master socket/microfilters/no telegraph poles?

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Waiting for you to bite! But as a first off to see if it will work, it would be adequate and then tidy up if performance is Ok. Pointless getting crimps or in-line IDCs if performance is abysmal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:36:18
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

Personally I would grab the NTE5 and filter from ebay, that way one can get a genuine BT/Openreach one. Go for an older NTE5a and then if there are problems you can just blame the previous owners/tenants, or hapless BT engineer some time in the dim and distant past. I have several ancient ones salvaged over the years for stealth fiddling with the master socket. Put old yellow thing on get line activated, Openreach engineer promptly replaces with new one and ditches the old one in the bin provided, which I then retrieve as sonn as they have left 😁
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:49:56
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

We can tell when it has been played with believe me!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:55:17
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Openreach dont always have to visit if a working line is already present, merely just a jumper change on the frame if the existing line to the property tests ok from the exchange end. Cheaper for the service provider to do that than to pay for a engineer visit, and create a appointment for the customer to wait in for....

Edited by 8skellerns (Tue 10-Apr-18 19:56:43)

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 20:26:11
Print Post

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

Phone is active, the broadband is active on 20th. Previous owners must have had broadband as they left a few filters plugged in to the various extension sockets. I am still trying to fathom what I need to do.

The master socket is in the cupboard in the hallway but does not have a lower part that can be removed, just a standard square faceplate, there are 4 extensions around the flat (1 each bedroom and 1 either side of living room). I am still not entire sure where I want it, I can have the master as one of the 2 living room sockets, or in the big bedroom (trying to work out which place to put my desk and pc! Not sure if living room is a good place or not).

I am thinking I can simply unplug all the phones and use the current master socket with a filter just to test the speed and purely use wifi for a while when deciding final location. I might even be able to use a filter on the extension sockets and see what speed I can get via them, might get lucky and still get a good speed from it and not need to do anything!

Once I decide where I need the master socket, as I understand it, an engineer could re-wire the existing master to make my chosen socket the master without having to run any cables, and simply disconnect all the other extensions that I won't really need (and will likely cause issues) as I can just use DECT anyway. Whatever way it's done I want the best broadband speed I can get from it.

Edited by Ewok (Tue 10-Apr-18 22:06:02)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 22:09:23
Print Post

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 8skellerns:

Why? Do they look nice and neat, ends properly trimmed, ty-wrap inplace ...tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-18 23:03:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by 8skellerns:

Why? Do they look nice and neat, ends properly trimmed, ty-wrap inplace ...tongue

I know right tongue

I know when the engineers came to install our FTTP the engineer that did the internal work knew I did all the internal wiring right up to the BT80 including the Gel Crimps, when I asked why, he replied due to its all neat and tidy and it looked like a lot of work went into it.

Which it did, I took my time doing it tongue

So that says something tongue

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Apr-18 18:18:47
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

If you have a proper install done then I think they would change your master socket to the later type, you could then use the existing wiring as a data extension.

Theres a photo guide in my signature, there is a description which goes with each picture. it really is quite simple if you use have the correct tools, especially a Krone tool.

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Apr-18 18:48:12
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I think I will just try plugging the modem into one of the extensions with no phones connected and see what kinda speeds I get. Then plug it into the existing master and see what I get there. Then decide what to do.

I have been looking up the wiring and as I understand it, wire 3 is the bell wire and should just be disconnected anyway and then 2 and 5 are the copper pair so it is pretty simple it seems.

So I guess what I could do is replace this old master socket with an NTE5a, then also attach the extensions to the a/b terminals and use the sockets purely for data, with the phone only plugged into the filtered master socket? So I assume that would then mean I could plug the modem into any of the sockets I choose (using a filter just so I am able to plug it in since the RJ11 obviously won't go straight into the phone socket). I guess depending on the wiring it might affect the speeds, or it might not?

Edited by Ewok (Wed 11-Apr-18 23:12:48)

Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Wed 11-Apr-18 23:51:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Our new recruits have to do it to standards. We are not pressurised into getting a job done fast, we are instead pressurised to do it right and correctly on the first visit to stop repeat reports of problems, and to look after the customer experience. Gone of the days of quantity over quality. Unfortunately, some old Openreach engineers still have that mentality, and I feel sorry for you if you get a Contractor (Quinns, Kellys etc) to do the task as they are paid per job and will cut corners whenever possible. Not all of them are bad, I have seen some quality work from them, but the majority of the time its bodge it and scarper with them frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to