General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Wed 11-Apr-18 23:53:10
Print Post

Re: Master socket/microfilters/no telegraph poles?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thing is you can spend days doing it, having loads of cuppas in the meantime lol! But yeah, see what you mean smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 12-Apr-18 00:18:25
Print Post

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 8skellerns:
Our new recruits have to do it to standards. We are not pressurised into getting a job done fast, we are instead pressurised to do it right and correctly on the first visit to stop repeat reports of problems, and to look after the customer experience. Gone of the days of quantity over quality.
For the moment, but it will change.

In the 1970s there were two company-wide edicts/policies in British Telecom, one after the other. (I forget which came first). They were mainly known by their acronyms. TQM, and RFT.

Total Quality Management, and Right First Time.

That was before the move from cost-centre management to profit-centre management.

Senior managements of course come and go, and all the lessons of the past are slowly forgotten. Then some bright sparks comes up with such obvious truths as that you make more profit by not having to do jobs three times or more. Convinces the Board and the cycle starts again.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74026/13734Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-18 18:50:57
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

You'd be much better if getting the correct bits and with the BT logo on them, I've used this seller before, I actually collected the item from his house smile

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/legremax/_i.html?_dmd=1&_nk...

And don't waste your time with the plastic punch down tool, get a proper one, they are cheap and well worth it.

Only wire it up so that one socket is in use for a data extension, if you wire all the sockets in and plug into any but the last your effectively created a bridge tap.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-18 19:15:14
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

The problem is I don't know which sockets connect to which. They must be daisychained since there are only 2 sets of cables on the master, 2 sets on each bedroom, 2 sets on one of the living room sockets and one set on the other living room socket. So I guess it seems to go anti clockwise around the flat, ending at that living room socket that only has 1 set of wires.

So I think I physically can't set the living room socket as the data one on it's own without it going through both bedrooms first. Unless I disconnect that final living room socket, which would make the other living room socket the final one, and thats the one I want to use! I have a plan! laugh The only thing I would have to figure out is which wires I disconnect from that living room socket that current has 2 pairs, I guess it is not obvious which is the incoming pair and which is the outgoing extension pair that I will want to disconnect (other than trial and error).

Although I don't know how much performance will be degraded by it running in a big circle around the flat? I gues could be none, or could be shitloads.

Edited by Ewok (Thu 12-Apr-18 19:17:39)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-18 19:38:41
Print Post

You know which is the in coming pair at the master, so leave them connected to the master socket, safely out the way.

Then it's a case of disconnecting all other wires at all the telephone sockets and make sure they are not touching each over, otherwise it will confuse the next stage

Then twist together the disconnected pair at the master, ignoring the orange ring wire. Go to another socket and using a continuity tester put it across the two same coloured wires you twisted together, if it make continuity you've just identified where the wire from the master socket goes to.

Rinse and repeat for all cables.

Meter with audible continuity testing http://amzn.eu/9iLd485

Make sure the meter is working by touching the probes together, it will beep when in continuity mode

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 13:45:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is there any reason not to get the newer NTE5c?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Apr-18 14:00:09
Print Post

Only the official faceplate filter fits and some are saying that heavy vacuum use i.e. bashing into it can dislodge the clip-on faceplate

Also modern record keeping is probably better, so might raise more questions when they see 5C whereas an older version will be more normal.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 13-Apr-18 17:46:44
Print Post

I'd go with an NTE5A over an NTE5C any day of the week.
The newer NTE5C is a lower build quality in my opinion. It's not as aesthetically pleasing either.

I'd also go with an official OpenReach MK3 SSFP (service specific faceplate) for the NTE5A. It's the best performing SSFP I've used.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 17:51:19
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I ordered an NTE5a but have ordered this faceplate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00NBZKN30...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Apr-18 19:28:16
Print Post

That looks cheap and narsty.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to