General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Apr-18 19:36:29
Print Post

Re: Master socket/microfilters/no telegraph poles?

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Probably fine for ADSL Max, but I wouldn't be particularly happy on ADSL2+, never mind FTTC. Very old hat, and I doubt if its internals have been upgraded.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74836/13693Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 22:26:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It hasn't shipped yet so I cancelled it. Will try to find a good one.

I am looking at this one now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-Openreach-MK3-...

Edited by Ewok (Fri 13-Apr-18 22:50:27)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 13-Apr-18 22:50:05
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

You can't go wrong with an MK3

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 22:50:50
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Yeah gonna order that one, hope its not some fake chinese [censored]

Edited by Ewok (Sat 14-Apr-18 09:12:40)

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-18 23:13:03
Print Post

Ok my next problem will be how I connect to the router. wifi adds to much latency so powerline adaptors are my only option besides trying to run cat5 around the flat.

I have read they can interfere with vdsl and cause line errors. Unfortunately it seems the only way to know whether it will interfere or not in a particular property is to try it, which seems like a very expensive experiment if it does interfere and I then can't use them. I have seen they now go up to 2gbps, I am wondering whether the faster the speed, the more frequencies they use, and the more chance it will interfere with vdsl, or whether the speed will have no relation on whether they interfere or not? Speed shouldn't be an issue anyway, if it can hit over 150mb it will be plenty, it's the possible interference!

I also get the impression they are unreliable and frequently disconnect and/or need resetting?

Edited by Ewok (Sat 14-Apr-18 23:50:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Apr-18 10:15:37
Print Post

Higher speed does mean more frequency bands in use.

Some cheaper ones don't carry notched frequencies to try and avoid broadband issues, best bet as they are a try and see tech, is pick up a pair of Devolo 500 plugs (£24.99 for two on Amazon https://amzn.to/2HCyggv ) and return if they don't work over the distance you need them to. Real world speeds on these slower ones should be in the 70 Mbps region but will depend on the distance and wiring.

Used to use them until I replaced them with CAT5e.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-18 11:53:30
Print Post

Are you not going to try and use the existing phone wiring as a data extension?

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-18 12:46:25
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

maybe at some point, but i need a benchmark best speed before i even think about that.

I doubt using existing wiring will provide very good results, given that it goes right around the flat in a big circle so it has to go via 3 different sockets to get to the one i will use.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-18 12:53:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ok so i definitely dont want the 1200mb+ ones then

the distance wont be that great as its only a 2 bed flat and the cupboard the modem and master socket will be in in is right in the middle of the flat, along with the fuse box. So I would expect it only has to go over maybe 20 or 30 metres of cable. I did see one site yesterday that did tests showing that powerline was actually worse for average latency and ping spikes vs 5ghz.

I am starting to think that by the time I have spend money on powerline adaptors, pcie wifi cards, and wifi dongles, I may as well have had BT just move the existing master socket to where I want it and be done with it! Which ultimately I may end up having to do anyway.

If both wifi and powerline endup a no go, I have 2 options, get BT to move the socket and run some cable around the skirtings, or stick the nte5a on it myself, (which I plan to do this week anyway), and run a cat5e along the skirting myself to the same location. Would it be better for performance to have them move the master by running cable, or leave the master and run cat5 myself?

Edited by Ewok (Sun 15-Apr-18 12:57:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to